We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early October trip Ideas

MD
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Early October trip Ideas

I want to go to New England states but don't know where to go. I've never been up north. I'd love to see the fall colors, possible whale watching, and any other great places to visit. I have from October 5-15 to travel. Was thinking of driving from Vermont to Rhode Island, possibly Maine. Please help with ideas and when and where to go to see the fall colors and some wildlife. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Maine
Maine
United States
Boston
Level Contributor
4,018 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early October trip Ideas

The fall colors vary according to how much rain we've had and how cold its been, etc. I don't see any signs yet of trees turning close to Boston yet. I would suggest you plan to bolt up to Southern Maine, inland (not so many maple trees the closer you are to the coast) and work your way down from there. It could be that all the color up north has come and gone by early October which wouldn't be surprising but you never know. I would gamble however on a better show of color that time of October if you are further South. Don't plan to drive half way then plan to drive farther north. Color travels south, not north. So depending on how much freedom you have in your schedule, maybe follow local Boston TV stations on line which usually post Fall color updates and then pick your first location, again moving South from there. The hills and mountains are all to the west so for color and wildlife, stay well inland. Berkshires in Mass maybe? White Mountains in New Hampshire? Wildlife- good luck with that, maybe a moose sighting along the Kangamangus Highway in New Hampshire, maybe a beer along the backroads. We see them here and there when we are up in NH but its a total crap shot as you may see nothing unless you are hiking well inland. Most birds have migrated by then so again, tough to figure out what you might see. Keep in mind that reservations may be hard to come by as most leaf-peepers are visiting in early October even if the color is long gone.

Whale watching? No idea about that time of year but where the whales are (maybe) there won't be any color as the trees close to the coastlines are usually pine trees. I would google that one and see if any boats run trips in October, I would think it would be pretty cold then! Good luck, its really very pretty up here and I haven't begun to offer up all the ideas!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
MD
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Early October trip Ideas

I have from Oct 7 to Oct 15 to view the Northeast. We are getting a rental car when we land in Bar Harbor and are staying by Acadia Nat. Park for 2 nights. Our trip will end in Providence, Rhode Island when we fly home on Oct. 15th.

Right now I'm looking to drive from Bar Harbor to NH to ride the Cannon Arial Tramway in Franconia, NH. Any suggestions on places to stay or other attractions to stop at on the way there or afterwards? Will stay in NH for at least one night, maybe 2 before heading south, southeast towards Massachusetts and Rhode Island.

Mentioned in this post
Providence
Providence
Rhode Island
Franconia
Franconia
White Mountains, NH
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
United States
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early October trip Ideas

Instead of heading south, consider heading east, to Stowe, VT. GORGEOUS mountains surround the town.

If not, next best is the Connecticut River Valley, especially in the area of Essex, CT. In RI, see Newport. Not because of foliage... you will have had your fill by then. But because it's a great place to visit. Gorgeous port, tour a mansion or two, walk Cliff Walk, drive Ocean Drive, and have a fabulous meal or two while you're here.

Mentioned in this post
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
Essex
Essex
England, UK
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
4. Re: Early October trip Ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Rhode Island