We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2days Rhode Island and Vermont..

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
2days Rhode Island and Vermont..

Hi all, planning to rent a car from NYC n drive out to Rhode island and Vermont with an overnight stay in either place..

Any suggestions on things to do n where to stay? Also, should I drive from NYC to Vermont then Rhode island n back to NYC or the other way round?

Saw many things to see n do on the other forum posts!can't decide coz we are first timers there!

Appreciate all replies!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2days Rhode Island and Vermont..

To add on, We're headed up on 8-9 Oct.. and would also loce to know where to find good food and not too expensive overnight lodging.. cheers!

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
515 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 2days Rhode Island and Vermont..

Well really there are endless possibilities but here's an idea...

Drive up in the morning to newport, RI and spend the day there. There are a million things to do and whatever your interests you will find plenty to entertain you. Lot's of great restaurants, great place to walk, scenic walks and drives, history, art, watersports, tours, etc. Newport is expensive but if you can't find lodging that is affordable enough you can look in Middletown just a few minutes away.

The next day will be a long day of driving but if the weather's nice it would be beautiful. Head up rt.93 to New Hampshire then 89 to Vermont. From there you can jump off onto Vermont rt. 100 and head south. This is a really pretty road that goes through a lot of lovely villages and ski towns. Depending on how much time you have you can figure out how much of the scenic routes you want to take as you make your way back towards NYC. If you really wanted to stretch it out you could even take rt 91 all the way to almost the Canadian border, catch the beginning of rt. 100 and take it all the way south through the state.

East Haddam...
Level Contributor
586 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2days Rhode Island and Vermont..

If there are specific reasons for hitting those 2 places then go for it, otherwise there is a decent drive, especially from Newport to anywhere north of the 89/91 intersection. I really enjoy both states and what they have to offer, but its a decent drive for only 2 days. Sorry if I'm coming off as a downer.

Good food - Vermont country deli in Brattleboro has great food to take on the go.

Madison Brewing Co - Bennington for good beer and pub food

Maple Leaf Brewing - Wilmington, VT

Dots - Wilmington, VT --- kick _ss breakfast

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2days Rhode Island and Vermont..

Thanks for the tips! At least now we're not so clueless..

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2days Rhode Island and Vermont..

Thanks for the tips! We wanna go to vermont coz we wanna go to ben n jerry factory.. :D but here are just so many things else to see that everything became a priority n couldn't decide..

At least now we're not so clueless :)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2days Rhode Island and Vermont..

More questions sorry, just wondering if its wise to just walk into a lodging n ask for a room for the night? Or must we book in advance?

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2days Rhode Island and Vermont..

You don't have to book in advance, if there is availabity then you're in. I realize some people like to do crazy raodtrips, which can be fun, but RI one day, VT another day -is kind of crazy. Why not at least go to VT one weekend and RI the other- it would be more enjoyable. Do RI now, the water is still actually swimable for one, and VT when the leaves turn in a couple weeks, allthough at that time you may find spur of the moment lodging availability more difficult.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2days Rhode Island and Vermont..

If you want to go to the Ben & Jerry's factory then you should stay in Stowe. It's my favorite Vermont town in any season. If I were going in October I would rent bikes or stay at a place that has bikes for the guests... I think Sun 'n Ski does... and I'd bike the town recreation path. I'd eat dinner at The Whip in the Green Mountain Inn. The only downside is that weekend is a prime one in Vermont. I would expect everyone is charging top dollar for that weekend. I'd drive Rt 100... very beautiful.

The group gave you good advice for Newport. You might check out some of the B&Bs. I saw some listed on the Newport lodging page here on Trip Advisor for under $200 a night, which is good for Newport. Plus the breakfast will save you $20 or more on your meal budget. Wherever you stay be sure to ask about parking. Sometimes there is an extra charge for it, and sometimes there isn't any, as some B&Bs are located on tiny lots and just don't have the space.

I'd recommend you do Newport first, because once you get here I bet you'd rather just stay and enjoy it rather than driving 6 hours to Vermont.

9. Re: 2days Rhode Island and Vermont..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2014, 06:20