We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relaxed coastal break after New York

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
87 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Relaxed coastal break after New York

My son is planning a NYC wedding June 2015. As we will be travelling from Scotland for the wedding we hope to extend our stay in the US with a break at the coast. We prefer to travel from NY by public transport and want a seaside town with a beach, nice restaurants and a good atmosphere. We may hire a car there for some day trips but don't want to drive from NY. Any suggestions of towns and transport options please. As a guide to what we are after, we loved a visit to Key West earlier this year. Lots to see, very historic, lovely restaurants, shops and beaches!

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
East Haddam...
Level Contributor
586 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Relaxed coastal break after New York

If you are going north I would say that your 2 best options are taking the train and getting up to Mystic, CT. The beaches in Rhode Island are close with a rental car or you can explore Stonington Borough. Old Saybrook has the options you want for beach and food/shops but isn't all that pedestrian friendly for lodging close to attractions.

Once you get past Mystic the train starts to move inland. There is an options with getting off in West Kingston and then getting over the Newport, RI. Someone else would have to fill you in on that public transport option.

You can also take the train up to New London, CT cross over the train tracks to the high speed ferry out to Block Island, RI and go out there (2-3 night minimum in some places in the summer). On the island you can rent bikes or scooters to get around.

If you want to go farther north you could go into Boston and then take a ferry over to Provincetown.

Any farther north you would have to transfer trains in Boston (South Station to North Station) to go up into New Hampshire and Maine.

I couldn't give you a personal favorite to the towns and beaches I've given you, I really do like them all. My recommendation would have to be based on how far and long do you want to travel to these spots.

Mentioned in this post
Mystic
Mystic
Connecticut
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
New London
New London
Connecticut
Block Island
Block Island
Rhode Island
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Maine
Maine
United States
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
87 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Relaxed coastal break after New York

Thanks, we don't want to go too far, definitely not North of Boston, probably Long island or Rhode Island a possibility. Newport seems like an option. I will have a look at Mystic too, and Block island. We like to walk so prefer something pedestrian friendly, though will probably hire a car for a few days.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Relaxed coastal break after New York

Jamestown would be a lovely, relaxing place to stay, and you could hop over to Newport via bus, car or ferry. Newport offers more than Mystic, is more comparable to Key West I believe. Sound like you've got some time to research it.

Mentioned in this post
Jamestown
Jamestown
Rhode Island
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Boston
Level Contributor
456 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Relaxed coastal break after New York

The nicest hotel between New York and Boston is probably the Ocean House in Watch Hill, RI. One would take Amtrak to Westerly, RI, and then the Hotel would pick you up there. Watch Hill is a smaller village, with a couple of restaurants and stores and lovely beaches. The Ocean House has a sister property 5 minutes away in the Weekapaug Inn with another restaurant and a lovely beach as well as catboats and other watersports. Both hotels are members of Relais & Chateaux. From Watch Hill, if you rented a car, Mystic is 25 minutes away, and Newport is about 40 minutes. The Ocean House is the quintessential traditional New England Luxury Beach Resort, having been built in the 1860's.

relaischateaux.com/en/….U3urStJdUrM

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Watch Hill
Watch Hill
Westerly, RI
Westerly
Westerly
South County, RI
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Relaxed coastal break after New York

Yeah, starting at about 500 a night. The great thing about travelling in Europe is a charming b&b in a stellar location can still be had for 50-75 euros, or more of course. Try finding that in NE in the summer.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
87 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Relaxed coastal break after New York

Thanks Hillside68 and Bostonspider, I will check these options out. As you say, I have plenty of time but always like to have my next travel project on the go. Still have an Italy trip to look forward to this summer, and maybe another european trip. I will check out Watch Hill, though would prefer something in a small town with a good variety of restaurants within walking distance, but it sounds beautiful so may split our stay. Newport and Jamestown both seem like good choices so will definitely consider them.

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Jamestown
Jamestown
Rhode Island
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Relaxed coastal break after New York

Newport is one of the few places easily toured without a car. Choose a place close to the harborfront... there are a lot to choose from, from national chains like Marriot to historic hotels like the Viking to a large number of B&Bs. There are probably 20 or more restaurants an easy walk from that area, and a similar number of shops. For a flat fee you can ride the trolley all day, taking you to the beach or the mansions. You can also catch a bus to Providence, and there are car and scooter rentals available.

Relaxing things to do: relax on beach, walk on beach, drive Ocean Drive, do a wine tasting at a near-by vineyard, enjoy a cocktail from an Adirondack chair on the lawn of Castle Hill Inn with it's beautiful views of the East Passage or go sight sailing on any of the many boats of all sizes and styles found at Bowen's or Bannister's Wharves (they are right next to each other). You could also do more active things such as touring a mansion or two, do walking tours, etc. There are several nice day trips nearby such as Jamestown or Little Compton.

I saw the recommendations for Watch Hill. It's nice, but not much within walking distance and will cost you EASILY 3 times as much. I'd choose Newport any day.

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Providence
Providence
Rhode Island
Jamestown
Jamestown
Rhode Island
Little Compton
Little Compton
Rhode Island
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
87 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Relaxed coastal break after New York

Thanks Lauryc, you have just confirmed my thoughts spot on! It sounds like Newport is the kind of place we are looking for. I also looked at Watch Hill and, although it looks lovely, probably not quite what we are after, and a bit expensive. What would be the best public transport option from NYC? Although it's a long way off, I am looking forward to it already, and my son's wedding in New York of course!

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
New York
New York
United States
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Relaxed coastal break after New York

You can take Amtrak from Penn Station to West Kingstown. I would call Orange Cab, which serves Newport

(401) 295-4040

There IS a bus that serves that train station and Newport, but I don't think it runs weekends, and there are only a few buses per day. If interested check out ripta.org

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
87 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Relaxed coastal break after New York

Thanks for your help.