We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation rental or B&B with salt marsh view

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation rental or B&B with salt marsh view

As memorable as our stay at a B&B directly on Long Island Sound was, my husband has said that he'd like to find a rental or B&B with salt marsh view for our next vacation. Any suggestions? We're a 60-something couple travelling by ourselves.

Fayetteville...
Destination Expert
for Seabrook Island
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation rental or B&B with salt marsh view

If you're trying to "get away from it all", I'd suggest you look at the islands of Kiawah and Seabrook Island. You will not find a b&b on either island but you will find lots of homes for rent.

While Kiawah has a 5 star hotel, it is not located on the marsh. SI is a residential community with no hotel.

Tell us your interests and what time of year and we'll make suggestions.

BTW, KI and SI are located about a 45 minute drive to downtown Charleston.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,845 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation rental or B&B with salt marsh view

On Kiawah, the Inlet Cove cottages, with Kiawah River view, look directly across the Kiawah River (actually the salt water passage surrounding the island) at breathtakingly beautiful marsh. The sun sets over the marsh and river. The view is ever-changing, and absolutely glorious!

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation rental or B&B with salt marsh view

Kiawah's a superlative suggestion, but actually I've already been there -- June of '83, '84 and '85 -- with my FIRST husband and kids. I'm hoping to find someplace different to create a new set of memories.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,845 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation rental or B&B with salt marsh view

Maybe try somewhere on Virginia's eastern shore. It feels very remote. Absolutely lovely.

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation rental or B&B with salt marsh view

Two of my sons and I spent Sunday-Friday in a marsh view cottage in Chincoteague (late April/maybe '99). I've read that area's become less appealing/economically distressed. Any other particular VA location you'd suggest?

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,845 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation rental or B&B with salt marsh view

Actually, I would have recommended Chincoteague. We loved it in the 1990's. Very sorry if it has changed. Good luck!

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation rental or B&B with salt marsh view

Oh - but you're on the SC forum so in this area, the best B&B on the marsh is the Long Point Inn. Really nice location - adjacent to Boone Hall Plantation (almost like staying there) but on the water. Nice reviews - I can find out more if you like as I go by there all the time. Let me know.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g54354-d81771-R…

Their prices are quite reasonable and they are oh-so-close to Charleston, to great shopping, the beaches, and great restaurants.

If you do contact them and they have a website, please post the website here as I couldn't find one.

Thanks!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,821 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vacation rental or B&B with salt marsh view

Interestingly, there happens to be a beautiful salt march in the Cherry Grove section of North Myrtle Beach. The marsh is across the street from the beach, so you get the best of both worlds. There are a few homes on this marsh and low rise condo (Reflections) that have great marsh views. I'd check Elliott Realty for marsh views in Cherry Grove...address should range from 4000 to about 4500 blocks.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vacation rental or B&B with salt marsh view

Would a beautiful creek view do? The Shem Creek Inn in Mt. Pleasant is everyone's favorite.

Views of dolphins and pelicans galore - only thing is, although the rooms are insulated, Shem Creek is lined with restaurants and bars. That might not appeal to you but it might not be a huge issue - maybe someone will chime in who has actually stayed there.

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vacation rental or B&B with salt marsh view

CultureHound, thanks for both of your suggestions. Folks on the SC Forum have been most helpful of any coastal state in responding to my question.

I actually had looked at some info about Shem Creek Inn a couple years ago when we were considering a trip to Charleston. Now that I've looked again at current TA reviews, I see some appealing aspects but also wonder if there's too much of a party vibe for us. More comments from those who have been at Shem Creek Inn would be much appreciated.