We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

house hunting in lake wylie area next week. WHERE????

arizona
3 posts
Save Topic
house hunting in lake wylie area next week. WHERE????

Hello,

I am heading down to Charlotte next week to do some house hunting. We are seriously thinking about leaving AZ and relocating. After searching the web we are very interested in the Charlotte area but I seem to really be attracted to the Lake Wylie area. I am a school teacher and my husband and I have two small children and one on the way. We would like a small town atmoshphere with lots of room for the kids to play. Would anyone suggest an area or new or old development in that area that would be appropriate for us. We will not have to be commuting just going to the airport once in awhile. I am going to look at the lake norman area too but just wanted some input. HELP. Leaving next monday and already have a realtor to show me around. Thanking you in advance for any help.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: house hunting in lake wylie area next week. WHERE????

There are some nice areas in the Lake Wylie area - look along highway 55 between Lake Wylie and Rock Hill...also on down the road toward Clover, SC - quite nice. Best wishes.

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: house hunting in lake wylie area next week. WHERE????

to movingfromaz: I'm was born a desert rat (AZ) and lived most of my life in CA up until a little over a year ago. We landed in Tega Cay, CA (www.tegacaysc.org) which is a small peninsula city located off Lake Wylie. We are next to Fort Mill, SC which is also the school district the children attend. They are very good schools (http://www.fort-mill.k12.sc.us/) that you might want to check look into. When we first started looking around our mind set was to look for a house with at least an acre. But once we came upon Tega Cay that all went out the window. It has so much to offer for the whole family it feels as if we are on a constant vacation. Of course there are re-sell homes in the area, along with new ones being built. The largest area being built now is called Lake Shore (http://www.lakeshoreonlakewylie.com/). The homes throughout Tega Cay can range from the mid $100,000 up to a million. There are no HOA's since we are a city which leaves you to either join the beach club (pool, workout room, etc), golf course, tennis club or just pay as you use them (it's your call). There are numerous parks, baseball fields, soccer fields, sandy beaches on the lake, walking trails throughout, places to launch your boat (unless you are lucky and live right on the lake :o) The community is very kid friendly with always something going on for them. If you would like anymore info...just let me know. I realize you have a realtor but if you would like to see some homes in the area www.allentate.com is a good source. Tega Cay has only one way in and one way out...so if you have the time check us out....love to have ya! Just so you are aware of too there is a lot of new homes being built around Lake Wylie so you should have no problem at all finding what you are looking for....good luck!

arizona
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: house hunting in lake wylie area next week. WHERE????

Thanks for the input. I have been doing a lot of searching online regarding the area and it looks so nice. There are not a lot of homes for sale when i search online in Tega Cay but there looks like there are a lot still being built which is good too. I will be down early next week so hopefully I find something suitable. I think I am in love with the area already and it looks like it will be great for the kids. What are the winters like? I bet the fall is a beautiful time of year. How far is the drive to the airport? If there is any other valuable info you can give me to watch for while house hunting that would be wonderful. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out.

p.s. I taught in the desert in CA for a few years and loved it but sure miss the season changes that NC and SC have to offer.

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: house hunting in lake wylie area next week. WHERE????

oh you are very welcome movingfrom az...glad I could help. There are more new homes now being built than there has ever been before in Tega Cay...it seems that they just can't build them fast enough. Even with the growth within Tega Cay....they can only build it up so much....unless they start building houseboats :o) The re-sell homes are out there but seem to be more plentiful during the summer months (kids in the area are already back in school...August 5th). Speaking from a person who knew no season changes before.....I am in love. The winters are not harsh, it does get cold... but regarding snow....the norm. is a light dusting...enough for the kids to play in for a little while and then it's gone (keeping everyone happy). The fall season...well let's just put it this way...I would drop the kids off at school....and just start off driving (most times with my mouth wide open)....I can't even tell you how many times I would have to stop and call my husband at work or my family in CA just to tell him how incredible the colors and sites were (thank goodness I had rollover minutes on my cell phone :o) The drive to the Charlotte aiport is about 20 to 25 minutes. Like I mentioned before Tega Cay is very family oriented but I also realize it may not be for everyone.....there is another spot you might want to check out in Fort Mill that is called Baxter Village (again another place great for kids). If you do decide to come visit Tega Cay don't go over 35mph :o) and make sure you visit Windjammer Park, also the beach club (swimming pool), and the golf course (if you're here on Sunday they have a wonderful brunch inside the club house). If you call ahead someone would be glad to show you around the school (Gold Hill Elementary).

Just some other sites you might want to look at (www.tegacayliving), it does not appear to be updated...this is just for photos of the area

(wwwfortmilltimes.com)....on the website look under the features section and you will see a booklet for Newcomers that is called "Focus on Fort Mill". Inside is a weath of information, giving the history of each area, demographics, Lake Wylie, companies in the areas, breakdown of what your property taxes would be, school information, and much more. There's a phone number and/or e-mail address where you can have one sent to you (or if you are in town they are in various businesses).

Local newspapers: Fort Mill Times (published once a week), The Herald (based in Rock Hill) (www.heraldonline.com), Lake Wylie Pilot (www.lakewyliepilot.com) also published once a week, and the Charlotte Observer.

Another great booklet that is put out by the Lake Wylie Pilot is called Lake Wylie Living (it too is located throughout the local businesses)...a freebie

If you think of anything else just ask...getting tired now and the brain is fogging up...take care!

Phoenix, AZ
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: house hunting in lake wylie area next week. WHERE????

Hi movingfromaz,

I live in North Phoenix and will be in NC in about a week to check it out. We are ready to relocate to a greener place with our two boys, and we hope that this will be the state. I also have been in contact with a realtor who has recommended the Lake Norman area. I have a cousin in Easley (SC) who will be gathering info for me to go over. I don't think you will have any difficulty finding the yard or the small town. It is the schools which will be tricky. I am quite happy with the education my oldest has received to date in Arizona. He has just started 7th grade. I am confident that I will be able to decipher all of the info I have received within the next month, so I would be happy to share with you. We may have similar insight coming from Arizona as far as culture differences, etc are concerned. Good luck!

Inspired

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: house hunting in lake wylie area next week. WHERE????

Distance to airport from Lake Wylie is about 20-30 minutes depending on traffic. Lake Wylie is just south of the airport. You just zip up Highway 49 ( the main drag) to Tyvola Rd - turn left and go to Billy Graham Parkway - that takes you to the airport. You can also go up 49 to I-485 - take it west to Wilkinson Blvd and turn right- go a mile or two and you are there. Easy.

arizona
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: house hunting in lake wylie area next week. WHERE????

Hey Inspired,

Thanks for the input. Looks like Fort Mills has a great school district so that is great. A friend also told me about Lake Norman so I am going to check that out too. But Tega Cay and Lake Wylie look so nice via online internet. I am leaving on Tuesday to check things out. Lets compare notes when you get back. Good luck. Arizona will be a hard place to leave in the winter but i am looking forward to falling in love with the Charlotte area.

Phoenix, AZ
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: house hunting in lake wylie area next week. WHERE????

Sounds like a plan. I have heard the same from others about the areas you mention. We will also be in Raleigh, Greensboro, Boone and Hickory. Hope your investigation is a success. Enjoy!

Inspired