We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic Driving on US-17

Virginia
Level Contributor
68 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic Driving on US-17

I will be driving from North Myrtle Beach to Jekyll Island, Georgia on Saturday, April 4. I thought it might be interesting to stop in Charleston on the way, but I'm afraid that US-17 will be a very slow drive. Any advice on Saturday morning traffic on US-17?

If we decide not to visit Charleston, any advice on driving back up to I-95 (to head south) from North Myrtle Beach?

Thanks!

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic Driving on US-17

It's a neat drive, and sure beats going all the way back out to I-95. The most congested part will be thru MB. To bypass a lot of that traffic, from NMB take either Hwy 9 or Hwy 22 over to Hwy 31. Stay on Hwy 31 until it terminates at Hwy 544. Take Hwy 544 East until you pick back up with Hwy 17 Bypass near Surfside. You'll still have some congestion until you get to Georgetown. From there, it's pretty much smooth sailing.

Hwy 17 from Georgetown to Chasn is divided 4-lane highway and an easy drive. Chasn can be a little congested but usually not too bad, particularly on a Saturday. An added bonus is the Arthur Ravenel Bridge in Chasn over the Cooper River. Do NOT take I-526 bypass around Chasn. It will add both time and distance, and you'll miss the new bridge.

Below Chasn, Hwy 17 is a scenic drive until you intersect with I-95.

Virginia
Level Contributor
68 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic Driving on US-17

Thank you so much! Sounds like we will take US-17 with your great directions!

3. Re: Traffic Driving on US-17

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 03:18