We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we visit South Carolinia at Christmas Time?

Iowa
8 posts
Save Topic
Should we visit South Carolinia at Christmas Time?

My husband, 6 year old and I live in Iowa and are planning a trip over my daughters Christmas break.

WE plan to take two days to drive out and two days to drive back. What parts of South Carolina do you suggest we see, and what things would there be to do with a 6 year old?

What kind of weather will we expect?

Thanks!

hazelb

Mentioned in this post
Iowa
Iowa
United States
southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we visit South Carolinia at Christmas Time?

I say go for it!...is there certain things or places your family likes? (mountains, ocean, hiking, history,...?) If you provide a few hints that would help out a bit. Thanks

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,487 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we visit South Carolinia at Christmas Time?

Charleston has the most temperate climate at that time of year.

I also think it has the most things to visit and see. Antebellum plantation homes, beautiful old homes downtown, IMAX theater downtown, the Market (often mistaken as the old slave market, it was not. It was an open air market for livestock, vegetables, homemade goods, etc. The old slave market is located elsewhere, I think on Cumberland St., but not positive)

Beaches, museums, art galleries and more.

I hope you have a nice trip, where ever you end up!

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
East Anglia...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we visit South Carolinia at Christmas Time?

You have a pretty large state to play with!

The south has the more historic areas and the north has more mountainous trails. In the south you're close to Florida theme parks. In the north you have Carowinds and mountains and outdoor life.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Charlotte, NC
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we visit South Carolinia at Christmas Time?

I would highly recommend going to Myrtle Beach to see the Carolina Opry Christmas Special. My husband and I love to go down there just before Christmas, and it really gets you in the holiday spirit!! And they have a horse that comes out during the show, which your 6 year old may enjoy too! There are many other events in that area, as well as shopping, and you can go see the beach as well, although it may be a bit chilly. There is a fairly new and lovely Marriott Resort in Grande Dunes, Myrtle Beach, just a couple miles from the Carolina Opry Theater.. I believe there is also a Ripley's Aquarium in Myrtle Beach, good for children..Hope this helps, and enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Fanwood,NJ
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we visit South Carolinia at Christmas Time?

Definitely go to South Carolina.Especially the Georgetown to Myrtle Beach area.You'll get great deals on hotels, restaurants, and have an abundance of things to do!

Make sure to go to Georgetown.Eat at The RiverRoom, and go to The Humidor, above Colonial Florist, on Front Street.

Charleston is also a great place for you to visit. Again great holtels of many types.Things for all of you to do & see.

Yes, to South Carolina at Christmas time!!

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Charleston
Charleston
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
732 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we visit South Carolinia at Christmas Time?

I agree with everything everyone has said about Charleston. If you want a nice, historic town with good food and friendly people, Charleston is a great choice. Your six year old will love the Imax theater and there is a very nice aquarium as well. The downtown area is fun to walk around in, lots of nice old homes and you can walk along the waterfront.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
long island
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we visit South Carolinia at Christmas Time?

I am curious-and happy! as to why you want to visit sc..most people want to visit fla!!I grew up in Greenville, which is is in the foothills -near the NC border, so i am partial to the mountains - i couldnot give you good touristy advice except this:

I have lived on Long Island (NY) for 21 years now but own my mom's home in greenville and go down every year...my husband and I- and our boys, ages 12 and 13 LOVE Pawley's Island (near Myrtle beach) and any little out of the way place that is not commercialized like myrtle beach....hilton head is too expensive for us but i don';t like the golfy feel,,but that's just me....i like the feel of McClellenville, and little areas that Pat Conroy wrote about in books....there are "back door" guides to educational riches you and your children would love....the birdwatching is wonderful in the low country and winter is the ONLY time of year to visit charleston!..the heat gets to me...make sure you go the non-tourist places,,see the little islands around there

Mentioned in this post
Greenville
Greenville
South Carolina
long island
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we visit South Carolinia at Christmas Time?

I am curious-and happy! as to why you want to visit sc..most people want to visit fla!!I grew up in Greenville, which is is in the foothills -near the NC border, so i am partial to the mountains - i couldnot give you good touristy advice except this:

I have lived on Long Island (NY) for 21 years now but own my mom's home in greenville and go down every year...my husband and I- and our boys, ages 12 and 13 LOVE Pawley's Island (near Myrtle beach) and any little out of the way place that is not commercialized like myrtle beach....hilton head is too expensive for us but i don';t like the golfy feel,,but that's just me....i like the feel of McClellenville, and little areas that Pat Conroy wrote about in books....there are "back door" guides to educational riches you and your children would love....the birdwatching is wonderful in the low country and winter is the ONLY time of year to visit charleston!..the heat gets to me...make sure you go the non-tourist places,,see the little islands around there

Mentioned in this post
Greenville
Greenville
South Carolina