We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildlife & shelling treasure near Charleston.

Aiken, South...
Level Contributor
265 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Wildlife & shelling treasure near Charleston.

If you are vacationing in the Charleston Area and want a truly unforgettable experience, go to Bull Island. It is an undeveloped barrier island and is part of a National Wildlife Refuge. It is the best place for birding, hiking, shelling, and dolphin watching. There are several endangered and threatened species on the island. You can also hike trails through maritime forest and to the "Boneyard Beach."

It was a well-known hideout for pirates back in the day and there are ruins of an old fort built in the early 1700s. To get there you take a ferry from Garris Landing. It is about a 30-minute ferry ride through salt marsh creeks, where you can see dolphins and lots of birds. We've used Coastal expeditions for ferry and guide in the past and they were great!

…discoversouthcarolina.com/charleston/bulls_…

www.scgreatoutdoors.com/park-bullisland.html

www.coastalexpeditions.com/index.php…

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,060 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildlife & shelling treasure near Charleston.

I so love Bull Island. Saw my first sea turtle in Bulls Bay. I'm with ya. Show us your pics!

Edited: 19 June 2010, 23:46
Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildlife & shelling treasure near Charleston.

Thanks very much for your post. This is indeed an eco-sensitive boat trip - with people who are concerned about the environment and have a strong desire to educate people on the richness and diversity off of our coastline. Locals and visitors alike love our waterways for their quiet peacefulness, beauty and abundant nature, and I can't help but think that you would see the same sights traveling the byways off of the Louisiana coast. I'm glad that organizations such as this are doing their part in showing just what it is we have to lose if we don't protect our shores..

Additionally, it is worth mentioning that touring our local waterways is most respectful to our area when done in the quietest and most careful manner possible. Speeding through our waterways contributes to wildlife being harmed; there is no question about that. . Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footprints - and don't make me cover my ears when I'm at the beach or on the water!

Aiken, South...
Level Contributor
265 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildlife & shelling treasure near Charleston.

Shanklemsw,

Would you believe me, of all people, does not have a picture? The first time I went, I was with the SC Marine Educators and was so busy looking and listening to a DNR friend tell about the animals and shells... Then I took my family and well ... let's just say kids + kayaks + water = no surviving pics!!

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,060 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wildlife & shelling treasure near Charleston.

Oh no! Well, there's always a next time.

Last time I went we took a friends boat over through the marsh. We saw bald eagles, oyster catchers, and of course osprey.

A word of warning to visitors however: there are BIG gaters on Bull Island!

Aiken, South...
Level Contributor
265 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wildlife & shelling treasure near Charleston.

I didn't see any gators, but got TONS of shells!!! I teach 5th grade and we study ocean and marsh habitats so it was wonderful to have samples to use in the classroom. It was great to collect the first time with someone from the DNR, because he knew all kinds of things that we didn't.

Bald eagles are so cool to watch, we see some almost every time we go to Lake Thurmond.

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Wildlife & shelling treasure near Charleston.

For those of you who have been on the island, did you see any snakes? Would the bugs be bad mid-October?

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,060 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wildlife & shelling treasure near Charleston.

I didn't see any snakes, but I'm certain if you go inland a little you could run into one. The bug situation will depend on rain but it is uninhabited. Skeeters are happy to see people out there so be prepared. It is so worth it.

Edited: 20 June 2010, 21:46
Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wildlife & shelling treasure near Charleston.

Generally speaking, the island is too breezy for skeeters. However, it is survival of the fittest and so the horseflies, with much stronger bodies, don't have any trouble in the breeze. The good news is that not everyone is bothered by horseflies. DON'T hang around with those people! Find "the other" group! ;-O

Aiken, South...
Level Contributor
265 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wildlife & shelling treasure near Charleston.

I haven't seen any snakes either. Bus weren't bad, when you live in SC, you always carry bug spray just in case.

Noseeums were really bad last year on Seabrook Island. Those things were in swarms and felt like needles OUCH.

10. Re: Wildlife & shelling treasure near Charleston.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2010, 06:17