We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charleston to Winston Salem

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
395 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Charleston to Winston Salem

Need things for kids to do along the way -- would you detour towards Myrtle Beach? To long of a road stretch without a stop over for the kids. Help, please.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charleston to Winston Salem

How old are the kids? I think you might regret getting caught up in MB traffic, depending on when you are traveling.

For something very special and out of the ordinary go see Pearl:

www.fryarstopiaries.com/subtemp.asp…

His work is in Bishopville SC, not too far out of your way. If you are lucky you could meet Pearl. He is one of the most interesting people ever.

Carowinds is in Charlotte, which might make for a nice stop unless it's as hot as it is now.

Riverbanks Zoo is in Columbia.

There are 2 ways to go:16-77, or 52-9-220. Have you decided which route you'll take?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
395 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charleston to Winston Salem

I have not decided on any route or made any specific decisions yet. We are still in the research phase and my kids are helping with the list of attractions. We will leave Texas June 2011 and return July 2011. Texas to Charleston --Charleston up the coast to myrtle beach or one of the islands, outer banks then Winston Salem. The last parts and the first parts are decided it is the middle part we are still working on. Any help is greatly appreciated. The kids are 6,7,8 -older two boys, youngest girl.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
395 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charleston to Winston Salem

The kids even said something about taking a ferry to the Hattarus Seashore.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charleston to Winston Salem

Yeah, there's a great ferry that goes to Ocracoke. Then you take another ferry to get to Hatteras. I thought you meant you were driving from Charleston to Winston. Ignore my rec.

So you're going up the coast into NC then from OB to WInston. The coastal highway 17 can be slow throughNC-it goes through small towns and has stoplights etc. I like it, but there not a lot of kid activities aside from all the Myrtle attractions.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Charleston to Winston Salem

Oh also be aware that you have to reserve that ferry from Cedar Island to Ocracoke. Here's a link:

swansboroncrealestate.com/nc-ferry-schedule.…

The ferries get filled up in summer, so do that well ahead of time. That's the only way to get there unless you go way up to Manteo and come back down. You have to park and wait in line. I haven't done it in a while but you may want to make sure you have plenty of snacks. Include time to stop at the Lighthouse. You can walk up to the top.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
395 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Charleston to Winston Salem

Would you skip the coast and just drive straight to Winston Salem from Charleston???? This is what I am trying to decide to finalize trip details.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Charleston to Winston Salem

I probably would. It's a long drive, some of it is boring. Take them to either the zoo in Columbia, or the zoo in Asheboro NC. It really depends on what you want to do, and if seeing the Banks is important to your family.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
395 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Charleston to Winston Salem

Thank you -- I think we have decided to skip the coast and just make a drive of it and use the extra days later in Kentucky.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
395 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Charleston to Winston Salem

Can you suggest the best route from Charleston to Winston Salem

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,028 posts