We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from Nashville to Kiawah Island

tennessee
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Best route from Nashville to Kiawah Island

Mileage looks about the same. From Nashville, better to go through Knoxville and deal with mountains? or Atlanta and deal with, well Atlanta - both end up at Columbia. Most routes should through Knoxville as the preferred route.

Leaving on Saturday and thinking of going through Atlanta and coming back on Friday through Knoxville ...ideas or input?

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,032 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route from Nashville to Kiawah Island

It's a personal preference for sure, but I'd avoid Atlanta. I've been stuck there in traffic at many different times of day. The mountain route is beautiful.

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route from Nashville to Kiawah Island

That is really a toss up. I don't think you will have any problems going through Atlanta on a Saturday. Traffic can also be bad in and around Knoxville with all the construction.

Fayetteville...
Destination Expert
for Seabrook Island
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route from Nashville to Kiawah Island

I used to drive the I40 route from AR across TN. Now I've been doing the "southern" route--Memphis, Birmingham, Atlanta, Columbia. It is a much easier drive.

Double check the road conditions if you're considering I40 into the Asheville, NC area and then down to Columbia. There was a rock slide last year that has yet to be totally cleaned up. I believe my neighbors told me it's still one lane of traffic on each side still.

4. Re: Best route from Nashville to Kiawah Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2011, 07:24