We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Myrtle Beach to Georgetown to Savannah to Charleston

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
338 posts
278 reviews
Save Topic
Myrtle Beach to Georgetown to Savannah to Charleston

Hi!

I am going to Myrthe Beach for 2 weeks with my 2 daugthers aged 5 and 14. We rented a condominium for both weeks. I am a historian and likes the waterfront. We are from Canada and I've never been to this part of the US. We will have a rental car and I'm good on highways, but would prefer not to drive in the cities, or as little as possible. I can pay for activities; but would rather keep costs down for hotels - however, they need a pool.

I was thinking of doing a 3 day break from the beach, either late during our first week or early on our second week. Would it be crazy to do :

Day 1:

leave early on the Thursday or Sunday and do plantation/georgetown make it to Savannah

arrive late in a Savannah hotel; visit night waterfront; city tour.

Day 2

Visit Savannah.

at the end of the afternoon, drive to Charleston

Sleep in Charleston hotel

Day 3:

Visit Charleston

End of day drive back to MB

Alternative plans to keep costs down was to do a 1 day trip to Charleston and another day trip for plantations and Georgetown.

suggestions? hotel recommendations? Other best plans? Or should I just stick around in MB?

Thank you!

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Myrtle Beach to Georgetown to Savannah to Charleston

I would suggest skipping Savannah altogether and do two solid days in Charleston and one in/around Georgetown. There's far more to see and do in Charleston than Savannah, and Charleston's historic district is nicer, IMHO.

Have you considered also seeing Brookgreen Gardens near Litchfield?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,508 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Myrtle Beach to Georgetown to Savannah to Charleston

I agree, there is alot to see and do in Charleston, enough to keep you busy for a week or more. To keep costs down you could stay in a hotel in Mt. Pleasant and drive into the historic district during the day to tour. Staying in the historic district will be more expensive, but then you could walk every where. You do not say when you are coming, but I would definitely suggest reservations.

www.historiccharleston.org

www.charlestonmuseum.org

www.draytonhall.org

www.middletonplace.org

www.patriotspoint.org

www.schoonerpride.com

Georgetown area plantations

south-carolina-plantations.com/georgetown/ho…

south-carolina-plantations.com/charelston/ha…

Edited: 25 July 2012, 18:53
Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Myrtle Beach to Georgetown to Savannah to Charleston

If you are going to see a plantation near Georgetown

and you're looking for a dining experience to share with your young ladies

think about going to Hopsewee Plantation and doing the full Southern Tea.

It's a real tea party for girls of all ages.

Hey, my husband loved it too, lol but he's a foodie :)

Hopsewee is on the banks of the North Santee river I believe, about 15 minutes south of Georgetown.

http://www.hopsewee.com/

I would agree about sticking to the Georgetown and Charleston areas.

Georgetown also has a rice museum with gift shop.

If you should choose to visit Hopsewee, and if you take the house tour,

they will teach you a lot about the cultivation of rice and the cultural differences that arose out of that as opposed to the culture of tobacco or cotton plantations of the south.

Fascinating-

and on that house tour you get to see above stairs and below stairs,

not just the first level of the home as is the case in many historic homes.

Edited: 25 July 2012, 19:02
Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,203 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Myrtle Beach to Georgetown to Savannah to Charleston

Although I'm not from the area, I been to all the cities you mention and I agree about leaving Savannah for another time. It's worth a trip certainly, but you need enough time to do it justice.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Myrtle Beach to Georgetown to Savannah to Charleston

You can see a lot in a few day trips.

Charleston and back in one day.

Visit Georgetown and one other place in one day. Choose from Brookgreen Gardens, McClellanville, Hopsewee, Bellefield Nature Preserve, Hampton Plantation State Park.

Instead of going all the way to Savannah, drive north one day to see Wilmington, NC.

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
7 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Myrtle Beach to Georgetown to Savannah to Charleston

In my opinion, there's waay more things to do in Savannah (particularly history), start by going to the visitor's center, a minibus tour, then go where you're interested. But it's a good 2 hours further away than Charleston. I hate to spend my vacation on the interstate. If you've got 3 days, I'd head south, stay at Litchfield Inn, for 2 daughters, stay at a poolside room downstairs - call them directly and ask for an updated room. They have 2 pools - one your 5 year old would love - 2 foot, one your 14 year old would love - 9 feet. The beach is a few steps from the pool, and the cabana bar is in between. Great food. If you're interested in history, I'd drive 2 miles north from Litchfield, to go to Brookgreen Gardens. Not sure when you're going, but into the fall, they have lots of activities, boat rides, exhibits, history displays of plantation life with free docent tours. Entrance fee is actually for 3 days, and you'll fill a day easily with your visit. Go to Hobcow Barony the next day - a few miles south (bring bug spray) for a 3 hour tour after a half hour movie showing Bernard Baruch and how he developed the area after the civil war. See the marshes and the grounds from the small bus (no private vehicles allowed on the grounds). You need a reservation for the bus tour. Or continue to Georgetown. From the visitor's center, take the little open air tour around town with a history lesson about the 3rd oldest town in SC and visit the rice museum. Then in the afternoon, take a ride with Cap'n Rod either to shell island, or up the river to see the locks holding the water allowing the rice to grow, seeing the homes from the water front and listen to his history lessons. Eat at the Rice Paddy or River Room. Relax at the cozy Litchfield Inn beachfront hotel the third day or go to Huntington Beach. Watch the crabs, alligators, and animals in the visitor's center. Spend part of the day walking the boardwalk about 5 miles north at the seafood capital of SC, Murrells Inlet. Why were you wanting to spend those other 10 or so days in Myrtle Beach anyway? I'd continue south toward Charleston, stopping at Hopsowee for a short tour (with bug spray again) - lunch is a treat if the timing is right, walk the grounds of Hampton plantation just on the south side of the Santee river, then going to McClellandville and their award winning museum. Bud volunteers running the place Thursday thru Sat. and is a wealth of knowledge of the area, and has a model of a wind powered sawmill, and can tell you about some other very important inventions which helped to make the rice planters wealthy. T W Graham restaurant was written up in So. Living lately.

When I got to Charleston, I'd go to the recommended places starting at the visitor's center. I enjoy just walking through the historic area. I suppose you need to walk through a part of the open air market. The best thing, I think is Magnolia Gardens southwest of Charleston across the Ashley river.

Have fun.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,508 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Myrtle Beach to Georgetown to Savannah to Charleston

I'm glad you enjoyed Savannah, but Charleston does offer much more. It was settled in 1670, nearly 65 years before Savannah and has retained much, much more of it's historic architecture and buildings than has Savannah. More planations remain, a larger historic district, etc. People often tend to prefer one or the other, but technically, Charleston still has much more of the historic sites still in existence.

8. Re: Myrtle Beach to Georgetown to Savannah to Charleston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2013, 10:15