We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A South Carolina stop over

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
81 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
A South Carolina stop over

Hello, our family will be travelling to Florida via I77 & I95. We'll be stopping in Beckley, VW for the night and looking at stopping again in SC. Can anyone recommend a quaint town or a good place to stop without heading into the bigger coastal cities?

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Beckley
Beckley
West Virginia
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,542 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A South Carolina stop over

Exit 98 off of I-95 is the small town of Santee, SC. There is a barbeque place called Lone Star Barbeque that is housed in a collection of old buildings that have been moved to that location and are filled with all sorts of old memorabilia from the WWII era.

Mentioned in this post
Santee
Santee
South Carolina
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A South Carolina stop over

Walterboro is about 45 minutes south of Santee. It's a real town with a Main Street. There are antique shops and the SC Artisan Center.

Mentioned in this post
Walterboro
Walterboro
South Carolina
Santee
Santee
South Carolina
Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
7,012 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A South Carolina stop over

I second Walterboro, but you may want to look for somewhere further south to avoid a long drive on your last day, but you didn't say where in FL you were going.

Mentioned in this post
Walterboro
Walterboro
South Carolina
Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A South Carolina stop over

Walterboro is a good stop. Another option that's a bit further off I-95 (25 min) but won't set you too far off your direction is Beaufort.

Mentioned in this post
Walterboro
Walterboro
South Carolina
Beaufort
Beaufort
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,542 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A South Carolina stop over

You did not mention if you were just stopping for a meal or to spend the night.

Santee has lots of motels, but is not much of a "quaint town". It is the half way mark between NYC and Miami, so gets lots of people traveling that route stopping.

Lone Star is pretty quaint, but only open Wed thru Sat.

Mentioned in this post
Santee
Santee
South Carolina
6. Re: A South Carolina stop over

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2013, 10:18