We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meeting place near Rt. 95 in North or South Carolina

Sunset Beach, North...
Level Contributor
7 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Meeting place near Rt. 95 in North or South Carolina

Our daughter and family are planning to drive (North) from Florida to Massachusetts on Rt. 95 in mid-February. Our son from Charleston and we (from Myrtle Beach) would like to meet up with them at some destination that is not too far (30 minutes or so?) from Rt. 95.

There will be 7 children, ages 2-13, all get along and enjoy outdoor and indoor activities. Can you suggest someplace to meet where we could have something to do for the day or two that we are together?

Thank you so much!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meeting place near Rt. 95 in North or South Carolina

Why not bring the gang into Charleston?

I95 is about an hour from Charleston if they get off at Point South, US 17 thru Pocotaligo. It's exactly an hour from Charleston if they connect from 95 to I26West.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meeting place near Rt. 95 in North or South Carolina

Well, there's always South of the Border - http://www.thesouthoftheborder.com/ . I'm not sure how to describe it. It's tourist tacky, but it's fun in its own way and offers accommodations, dining and some attractions. It's been around forever. I've never stayed in their motel so I cannot comment on it. It's definitely a "different" experience, but it's located right on I-95 at the SC/NC border.

Santee State Park is located just a few minutes from I-95, alongside Santee-Cooper lakes - southcarolinaparks.com/santee/introduction.a… Unfortunately, there's not much else in that area to recommend it, and I'm not sure what is available for accommodations if you don't stay in the park.

I tend to agree with Mike, particularly since it will be February and there's a good chance you'll run into less than ideal weather. It's a very scenic drive up Hwy 17 from I-95 to Charleston. I believe that would be my plan if I were in a similar situation.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meeting place near Rt. 95 in North or South Carolina

I agree with the others... exit I-95 at Exit 33 (US 17 north) and within an hour you'll be in Charleston itself. When you head back to I-95, you'll be 45 minutes away from I-95 via I-26 and will be getting back on I-95 at Exit 86 rather than having to go all the way back to Exit 33.

However, if it really needs to be just off the Interstate, then Santee State Park (Exit 98) may be the best option.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,808 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meeting place near Rt. 95 in North or South Carolina

Santee is half way between NY city and Miami and thus is a big stop along I-95. There are lots of motels/hotels and restaurants from pretty good to fast food places. Most of the local attractions have to do with outdoor activities, such as the park, fishing, hunting, etc. No movie theaters and no shopping.

Just to clarify the above post..... if returning to I-95 on I-26 from Charleston ~ you would take exit 169 off of I-26. The number 86 mentioned above is the exit OFF of I-95 to get onto I-26.

Edited: 01 February 2013, 13:34
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,808 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meeting place near Rt. 95 in North or South Carolina

Also worth considering are Beaufort, SC and Florence, SC. Both offer way more to do than Santee.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,655 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meeting place near Rt. 95 in North or South Carolina

Do consider Beaufort. If the weather is sunny you can visit the adjacent sea islands, including the state park on unspoiled Hunting Island. On darker days, you can enjoy browsing, dining, and exploring in the historic town.

Keep in mind that air temps in mid-February will feel very chilly, especially to people traveling up from Florida. In Charleston last February we had a hard freeze that spoiled the camelia blossoms.

Edited: 01 February 2013, 14:59
7. Re: Meeting place near Rt. 95 in North or South Carolina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2014, 06:17