We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight in South Carolina on Road Trip-Where to Stay?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Overnight in South Carolina on Road Trip-Where to Stay?

Hello, all:

We are going on our first long distance driving trip (family of 5) from Philly to Sarasota. Mapquests calulates the trip at approximately 1,135 miles with a driving time of 17-18 hours. I am figuring about 20 hours. We will leave on a Friday and arrive Saturday.

It seems that South Carolina would be a good point at which to stop for the day and stay overnight. I'd rather put more time in the first day, so that that we have time to relax and enjoy the rental house on Saturday.

Thoughts on a safe and upper scale place to stay? We'll be on I-295.

Thank you.

Dan

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight in South Carolina on Road Trip-Where to Stay?

Not much upscale unless you want to get a ways off the highway. It's I95 through SC. This one looks seriuosly nice, but it's out of your way.

http://www.abingdonmanor.com/

There's a non-chain in Santee called Clark's. That might work, but it's not upper scale.

http://www.clarksinnandrestaurant.com/

The DE for SC endo sunshine would know more about it than I do.

Savannah is not far off 95 and will give you more options if you can last that long.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight in South Carolina on Road Trip-Where to Stay?

I don't mean to come off as a snob. We just want a place that is clean and well maintained.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight in South Carolina on Road Trip-Where to Stay?

Oh you didn't at all. I'm A big Hampton fan: clean to the corners, excellent beds, great coffee. Look for a Hampton Inn. I would avoid Orangeburg, SC.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight in South Carolina on Road Trip-Where to Stay?

Clarks is not too bad a suggestion; I've never stayed there but they do have a decent restaurant at the site of the hotel. It's a popular place for golfers and fisherman in the Lake Marion area.

South of Santee, the only other communities that have lodging of any significance are St. George (exit 77), Walterboro (exits 53 or 58), Point South (exit 33), or Hardeeville (exits 5 and 8). Of these options, Walterboro has the most selection of places as well as more sit-down restaurant choices like Cracker Barrel and Outback. Dukes Restaurant, a BBQ joint is open on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays is renowned throughout the state and would be a good local food option. Walterboro also has a somewhat cute little downtown if you wanted to explore.

Hardeeville has a nice county park facility off exit 8, but I would only stay at the Holiday Inn Express at exit 8 (recently built, interior hallways, etc). Dining is a bit more sparse though.

My vote would be for a place in Walterboro; Hardeeville would be next on the list.

Edited: 24 April 2013, 12:28
Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight in South Carolina on Road Trip-Where to Stay?

I like the Holiday Inn Express chain. ihg.com/priorityclub/hotels/us/en/reservation They are usually clean and offer free breakfast.

There are two in the Florence area: ihg.com/priorityclub/…hoteldetail ihg.com/priorityclub/…hoteldetail

Here is one further south: ihg.com/priorityclub/…hoteldetail

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight in South Carolina on Road Trip-Where to Stay?

Santee is right on I-95, adjacent to a large lake (which I-95 will pass over). The main attractions are golf (several courses) and fishing in the lake. It is a popular stopping point along I-95, so there are a number of chain hotels. Clark's is a family owned hotel/restaurant that has been in Santee over 50 years. Many people stay there each year when coming in for a golfing trip, etc. I think you would be perfectly happy there, if you choose that. www.clarksinnandrestaurant.com

For restaurants, again there are many chains (Cracker Barrel, fast food, etc.). The restaurant at Clark's is good and there is a restaurant called Captain's Quarters that is also good.

7. Re: Overnight in South Carolina on Road Trip-Where to Stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2014, 05:17