We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Carolina to South Carolina to Savannah

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
North Carolina to South Carolina to Savannah

Hi, we are travelling from Scotland on 22 August on a 3 week road trip which we are organising ourselves. We have been to the USA several times, NYC, California road trip and travelled length and breadth of Florida..which we love!

However...apart from NYC all other areas in our trip are completely unknown to us!

We start in New York City for 4 nights, Train to Philadelphia for 2 nights, train to Washington DC for 3 nights, then pick up hire car for rest of the trip. We are then heading through North Carolina, South Carolina and finishing up in Georgia. The places we are certain to visit are Charleston SC and Savannah GA. We were considering somewhere en route possibly 1 night in Blue Ridge Parkway/Shenandoah NP and possibly base ourselves in Wilmington NC for a few days. If anyone has some suggestions for a base in NC ...Wilmington or a beach area...as we may need a wee rest at this point that would b great! Any suggestions on NC and Blue Ridge would be really helpful and much appreciated! We plan to spend 5 nights in Savannah to chill out before flying out of Atlanta back to 'Bonnie Scotland'!

Many thanks in advance!

P.S. we like laid back towns with good food, bit of history... and nice beaches!

Audrey

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,418 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Carolina to South Carolina to Savannah

Check your geography and note that Blue Ridge Parkway is 200 miles west of the coast.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: North Carolina to South Carolina to Savannah

Oops! Will check this out! Thanks..:)

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,792 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Carolina to South Carolina to Savannah

The Blue Ridge Parkway is very nice and the town of Asheville, NC along the Park Way is also very nice and has The Biltmore House to visit and tour. However, as mentioned, they are many miles west of the coast.

Edited: 28 July 2013, 20:26
Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: North Carolina to South Carolina to Savannah

Thanks Endosunshine...as we are heading to Charleston after Washington, I think what I should've asked was suggestions of place/s to stop in between...want to see a little of NC...and the mountain area sounds beautiful... ..any suggestions are truly welcome! Thanks again..

Audrey

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Carolina to South Carolina to Savannah

IMHO, 5 nights in Savannah is way too much. Charleston is a bit larger and has more visitor amenities, so I would suggest shaving off at least 2 days from Savannah and add them on to Charleston. Another stop in between Charleston and Savannah worthy of a day trip or night's stay is Beaufort, a small historic town between the two. 15 miles east of Beaufort is Hunting Island State Park, which is among the top 25 beaches in America as ranked by TripAdvisor.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,792 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Carolina to South Carolina to Savannah

I totally missed the part about 5 nights in Savannah and I agree ~ that is too much. Charleston is much larger and has retained MUCH more of the historic buildings, locations, etc than has Savannah. In the 1960's and 70's when the prevailing attitude was "tear down old stuff and build new stuff" Charleston had a very active Historic Society that saved many things. Unfortunately, Savannah was not so lucky. Also, Charleston is where the American Civil War began, so there is lots of history associated with that as well. You could spend 5 nights in Charleston and not come close to seeing all the great things we have to offer ~ beaches, plantations, historic buildings of all sorts - churches, homes, government buildings, huge mansions along The Battery (waterfront), etc. All types of outdoor activities ~ kayaking, stand up paddle boarding, boat tours, walking history tours, etc.

www.historiccharleston.org

www.charlestonmuseum.org

www.oldexhange.org

www.midlletonplace.org

www.draytonhall.org

www.angeloaktree.org

www.nature-tours.com

www.fireflyvodka.com

www.patriotspoint.org

www.schoonerpride.com

www.kayakcharleston.net

I would allow 3 nights in Savannah at most. As mentioned, Beaufort is a great small historic town between Charleston and Savannah, well worth at least a day visit or one overnight.

If you choose to go inland to see the Blue Ridge Parkway, I would suggest staying in Asheville, NC for a night or two. It is just off the Parkway and has a nice downtown area. Also has The Biltmore House, which at one time was the largest personal residence in the US. Built by the Vanderbilts in the 1890's, it was modeled after a 16th century French chateau and has 250 rooms! The grounds were designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, who also designed Central Park in NYC.

www.biltmore.com

Holland, Michigan
Level Contributor
207 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Carolina to South Carolina to Savannah

If you want some very rustic beach drives. Travel via the outer banks. Ie nags head through to beuafort, nc. The scenery is beautiful. That of course if you are going to bypass the blue ridge parkway. IMO, since you will be by the ocean in sc. Would be worth doing. And Asheville is a neat town. From Asheville it is about a 5-6 hour drive to charleston.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,157 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North Carolina to South Carolina to Savannah

Not so, Old Navy, it's about 4 hrs from Asheville to Charleston. Straight down I-26.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: North Carolina to South Carolina to Savannah

Thank you all so much for your help and input, It really is much appreciated. We have decided to go to the blue Ridge Parkway instead of Wilmington as many people have suggested this is a good idea and Asheville seems like a great place to visit. We are taking on board your comments about the length of time for Charleston Savannah and really appreciate those comments, as several of you are saying the same thing.

We are leaving Washington on 31 August arriving Asheville same day? It is likely we will be there Labor Day, do you think we will have any issues with accommodation? We wanted to keep our itinerary flexible and therefore didn't want to book all our accommodation. We used to travelling in Florida this time of year which is a quieter time and accommodation is readily available. Is it likely to be similar in North North and south Carolina in that respect?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,792 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North Carolina to South Carolina to Savannah

I strongly suggest that you make reservations in Charleston and Savannah, things here get VERY booked up. Asheville?? I'm not as sure about, but Labor Day weekend tends to be very busy in the US, so I would say make one there as well. Otherwise you may find yourself without a decent place to stay.