We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fire destroys portion of downtown Georgetown

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Fire destroys portion of downtown Georgetown

Keep the beautiful coastal community of Georgetown in your thoughts today as it recovers from a fire which ravaged part of its downtown this morning. I live in a very similar community (Beaufort) and would hate to see a block of our downtown go up in flames. News:

thestate.com/2013/09/25/3000993/major-fire-e…

The shopkeepers and businesses along Front Street are wonderful people and will need all the love and support (especially tourist dollars) over the coming weeks and months. If you're in Myrtle Beach or Charleston, please consider making a day trip to this attractive and historic town and support their local businesses! I'll be coming through next week on an already-planned trip and look forward to doing my part!

Edited: 25 September 2013, 15:53
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,682 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fire destroys portion of downtown Georgetown

This is awful. I hope they will be able to recover.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,333 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fire destroys portion of downtown Georgetown

Just saw it on TV. Devastating !

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fire destroys portion of downtown Georgetown

This breaks my heart. These are all small family businesses owned and worked by hardworking families. We have also lost a valuable piece of this area's history. Hopefully, the businesses will be able to recover, but we will never be able to recover the character of these buildings. So sad...

More info and pics at http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,980 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fire destroys portion of downtown Georgetown

It breaks my heart too. I love visiting there.

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,347 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fire destroys portion of downtown Georgetown

Wow! I love visiting Georgetown! Does anyone know what places were lost? (Are the museums still there?)

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,347 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fire destroys portion of downtown Georgetown

found this: thestate.com/2013/09/25/3000999/firefighters…

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fire destroys portion of downtown Georgetown

Only a few waterfront buildings burned. The Rice Museum was not damaged. The Maritime Museum was scorched, but they're saying the collection was salvaged.

Georgetown is still a great stop for travelers between Charleston & Myrtle Beach. The 19th century historic district did not burn.

I don't want to downplay the loss of these buildings. It will ruin Georgetown's waterfront if the replacements rise 4 or 5 stories. But Georgetown was not destroyed, there are good lunch/dinner restaurants, and people should visit this beautiful historic city.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fire destroys portion of downtown Georgetown

Yes, Georgetown is still open for business with very good restaurants open and undamaged by the fire. And yes, the historic residential area was spared by the grace of a kind wind. And yes, Georgetown will recover. The Clock Tower was not involved, and the Maritime Museum building appears to be okay, although water and smoke damage is worse than originally believed. Still, it would be wrong to downplay the significance of this fire.

The fire destroyed the oldest buildings remaining on Front Street, the center of Georgetown's historic district. Two were on the National Historic Registry. One was originally a general store that supplied the Vanderbilts, Baruchs, Huntingtons and Duponts back in the day when those families had winter lodges in this area. All of the buildings housed small family businesses, with many of the owners living above their shops. There is a huge hole in Georgetown this morning, both physically and emotionally.

As of this time, Georgetown is determined to go on with the 24th Annual Wooden Boat Show, held each year on Front Street. It will be an emotional year, and the show needs all the support it can get. If you are anywhere near Georgetown on October 19th, I encourage you to consider attending. The town needs and will appreciate your participation. https://woodenboatshow.com/

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fire destroys portion of downtown Georgetown

What I LOVE about Georgetown:

It's a REAL town- not varnished and Disney-fied.

It's history speaks for itself as you walk down its shady, gracious streets.

The people are warm and wonderful, welcoming and take time to talk with you.

The lovely proprietess of Goudelock and Co. spent 45 minutes chatting with us, even past closing time.

What a wonderful sweet lady. Found on the walls of her establishment, beautiful paintings I realized were her own work as we stepped out the front door, feeling we had made a new friend.

Georgetown is the antithesis of Myrtle beach- everything open at all hours and all the chaos that goes with it.

Shops may close at 5 or 6 pm even on a Saturday before Labor Day because these are real people running unique, family owned businesses that have families that also need their attention.

I really love that they don't keep ridiculous hours chasing the almighty dollar but let their distinctive merchandise, the true charm of their town and their from-the-heart hospitality stand on its own.

Georgetown is a rare gem, and it grieves my heart that the wonderful people there have lost so much.

But they will pick themselves up and start rebuilding,and there is much that remains even now to see and do.

I wish I had free time and funds to go back now to visit, but at next opportunity we will be there.

Meanwhile I will keep these wonderful people in my prayers.

God bless Georgetown~

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fire destroys portion of downtown Georgetown

PawleysDude; my wife and I will be staying the night in Georgetown on Tuesday night and will want to definitely support a local restaurant or two on Front Street. Do you know if any of the surrounding places have closed temporarily or are those unaffected by the fire open for business, despite their proximity to it?