We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday travel suggestion - a travel without a destination.

2 posts
Save Topic
Holiday travel suggestion - a travel without a destination.

Hello Fellow travelers,

I haven't planned any vacation for this year's Christmas holidays. Just thinking about it and got the thought, why shouldn't i just rent a car and drive to some places ?

It's just me and my wife. My current place is Michigan. I'm thinking to drive through West Virginia, stay for a night, drive to south Carolina, spend a few days there and make a u-turn, stop by west Virginia, check a few things here too and drive back home.

I would get 6-7days (Dec 21st tru 28th) off my job. Any suggestions, on how the weather would be or where to stay ?

Open to any other suggestions with the places. Like i said, i haven't planned any destinations and i'm not really interested in major places like Florida, California etc. I have to drive all the way down, would be hectic. Carolina is 13hrs reasonable.

Thanks for your time and help.

P.S. i like outdoor activities mainly and same with my wife too.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,796 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday travel suggestion - a travel without a destination.

Sounds like a grueling trip to me. From New York City, the drive to Charleston SC takes us 13+ hours. Of course, we have to deal with traffic down the I-95 corridor, which you will not encounter. Once you are in South Carolina, there is no assurance of warm weather, though it will be warmer than Michigan and more conducive to outdoor activities not involving ice or snow.

The warmest temps in South Carolina will be along the coast, where the Atlantic Ocean and Gulf Stream moderate our climate. Historic Charleston and the surroundings are very festive around Christmas, and definitely worth a stay of several days! For outdoor activity you can enjoy lots of walking through the historic streets, kayaking in the rivers and marsh, and even golf or tennis. There will be plenty of natural greenery around, and the winter camellias should be in bloom at the outlying plantations.

If you don't care about mild weather, you could shorten the drive a bit by focusing on the mountains around Asheville, North Carolina, which is also a festive Christmas destination. There may be snow and ice in the mountains, but you're probably already used to that.

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday travel suggestion - a travel without a destination.

Awesome, Thanks for the information.

Yep, as long as the temperatures stays above 33F, i don't mind.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday travel suggestion - a travel without a destination.

A bit down the Carolina coast is the Beaufort area, which boasts southern history and charm as well as a spectacular state park (Hunting Island) that was named one of TripAdvisor's top 25 beaches this year. You could do it as a day trip from Charleston or stay in the area, too...

4. Re: Holiday travel suggestion - a travel without a destination.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2014, 05:17