We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Savannah or Charleston for break between DC & Ft. Lauderdale

Maryland
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Savannah or Charleston for break between DC & Ft. Lauderdale

We will be heading out of the DC area in July, taking our 3 dogs to Florida. The Charleston/Savannah area is just over halfway. We were planning on arriving late on a Monday evening and then departing early on Wednesday which will give us one full day to enjoy the city.

I know both cities are great - but which would you suggest for this one day tour? Dog-friendly areas would be appreciated

Thanks

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,912 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Savannah or Charleston for break between DC & Ft. Lauderdale

There is far too much to see & do in Charleston, a single day wouldn't even scratch the surface. Savannah is a bit smaller, still enough for two days, but better suited of the two for a single day visit.

Level Contributor
4 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Savannah or Charleston for break between DC & Ft. Lauderdale

I'd recommend savannah. Savannah is much closer to I-95 and there are many interesting places along River Street and great carriage tours of the city.

Also, we've stayed at pet-friendly bed&breakfasts in Savannah.

Edited: 07 June 2014, 02:46
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,499 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Savannah or Charleston for break between DC & Ft. Lauderdale

I can't speak to Savannah. Many of the squares (green spaces since the original 1700s plan) are dog-friendly but you'll need advice from locals.

If you decide to visit Charleston, I have some dog advice.

White Point Garden at the Battery is an off-leash area. The Battery wall is under construction, so vehicle traffic is low. Turning them loose is always a judgement call, but this is a fine place to do it in a non-dog park area.

If you want a dog park, there's an all day enclosure on South Adgers Wharf at Hazel Parker playground, and a genial play group after 5PM in the large grass field there, also enclosed with chainlink. Your pets won't find any bad actors there.

Brittlebank Park has a large off-leash area between the Ashley River and Joe Riley Stadium. Not usually many dogs there, it's good for the shy ones.

My terrier loves to roam around Waterfront Park, with or without his leash it's a fascinating place for dogs and such a pleasant place for people too!

4. Re: Savannah or Charleston for break between DC & Ft. Lauderdale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2015, 06:17