We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horseback Trail Riding

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
677 reviews
Save Topic
Horseback Trail Riding

Where is the best place to go for a trail ride in the Black Hills/Badlands area that you would ride and see some nice scenery? Just looking for a short trailride.

Thank you

Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
893 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Horseback Trail Riding

The Custer State Park vendor offers trailrides. http://www.custerresorts.com/activities.php

You can also try:

Rockin R Rides in Custer. http://www.rockingrtrailrides.com/

Paradise Valley Trail Rides in Nemo. www.paradisevalleyadventures.com/index2.html

chicago, il
Level Contributor
196 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Horseback Trail Riding

Hi angeleyes27:

We went horseback riding at Blue Bell stables, which is located in Custer State Park (so the link provided by the first poster will get you to the info). We took an hour trailride through the park and really enjoyed it. The guides were great! If you are going in the summer I would highly recommend calling ahead to reserve your time, and to choose and early morning ride. When we were there last July it was 90-100 degrees each day (don't let anyone tell you that it doesn't get that hot in the Black Hills...it can), and the day we were there they only did the trailrides in the morning, as the mid-day heat was too much for the horses.

Have fun,

Kelly

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
677 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Horseback Trail Riding

Thank you so much. What type of terrain did they go on? It would be nice to see something that you can't see on foot. I appreciate your advice.

chicago, il
Level Contributor
196 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Horseback Trail Riding

Hi angeleyes77:

I wish I could be more help w/regards to what we saw...I am not an experienced horseback rider, so my memories are more about the horses! I know we went on some really pretty trails, crossed a stream or two, and saw some wildlife (like deer and other forest animals, not buffalo). While I definately would consider it scenic, I don't necessarily know if we saw anything that couldn't be seen on a hike, though. I do believe that the 2 hour ride gets a little more scenic...but we were newbie riders, to the 1 hour was plenty for us.

Hope this helps, and maybe someone else can fill n the gaps in my memories.

Kelly

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
677 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Horseback Trail Riding

Thanks so much for your help, Kelly. I appreciate it.

6. Re: Horseback Trail Riding

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 20:17