We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Day Itinerary From Chicago this weekend

chicago
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Topic
2 Day Itinerary From Chicago this weekend

Is the following doable?

Leave Chicago @ 4-00 pm Stop at Sioux falls for the night

Saturday – Day 1

I-90 and take the Scenic Highway through the Badlands!

Drive Iron Mountain Rd on the way to Mt. Rushmore.

Arrive in Key Stone in our hotel

Visit the monument and do the president’s trail

HAng out in the keystone for the evning

Sunday – Day 2

- Sylvan Lake and driving the Needles Hwy.,

- Enter Custer Park and do the Wildlife Loop to Custer!

- Crazy Horse Memorial

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
501 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Day Itinerary From Chicago this weekend

The first day at 9 driving hours, starting late afternoon, is a tough one.

Saturday is also a long day. What is your route to get from the Badlands to Iron Mountain Road?

Do you already have lodging in Keystone? The Sturgis Bike Rally ends on Sunday, and if you don't have Saturday booked, hotel rooms may still be difficult. Plus the bikers make driving all the roads in the Black Hills slower.

Sunday's schedule looks fine.

chicago
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Day Itinerary From Chicago this weekend

I was thinking of just doing the loop back to I90 from Badlands.

Should I just do Iron Mountain on Day2 wont I be cramming a lot.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
683 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Day Itinerary From Chicago this weekend

Hi jayinchicago-I am from Algonquin, IL and we travel to the Black Hills often. Chicago to Sioux Falls take about 9 hours providing you don't get stuck in Wisconsin Dells traffic. I also want to warn you to watch your speed limit in WI especially in the Dells area. It is a speed trap. Sioux Falls to the Badlands is around a 4 hour trip. If you get an early start your itinerary could work. The scenic hwy. through the Badlands (Hwy 44) meets up with Hwy. 79 in Rapid City. If you take 79 south about 20 to 25 miles and go west on Hwy. 36 (the route to the State Game Lodge) about 10 miles, you can catch Iron Mountain Road on the right. Taking Iron Mountain Rd. south going north to Mt. Rushmore is the best way to experience the drive. As you get closer to Mt. Rushmore you will go through tunnels that frame the monument. If you take the road north going south only one tunnel frames Mt. Rushmore. More often than not, we have also find buffalo herds and the begging burros on Iron Mtn. Rd. So keep your eyes open for wildlife. Keystone is just a couple of miles from Mt. Rushmore. You could check-in to your hotel and go on to Mt. Rushmore with time to see it in the daylight and stay for the lighting ceremony. Your Sunday intinerary looks good. The best time to do the Wild Loop Rd. is in the early morning or right before dusk. However, you only have a short time so your way would be the best. Too bad you only have 2 days. You will be spending alot of time in your car. If you had the time, I would encourage you to get out and hike, especially in the Sylvan Lake area. Some great trails with absolutely breathtaking scenery. Maybe this trip will wet your appetite, like our first trip did, and you will make a trip back someday. Enjoy! It is an amazing area and probably the best state park in the nation.

chicago
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Day Itinerary From Chicago this weekend

Hi mountainmama52,

Thanks for the great advice.

cheers,

-Jay

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
501 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Day Itinerary From Chicago this weekend

Jay, mountainmama's route 44 to 79 is a good one to get to the southern point of Iron Mountain rd. I thought perhaps you were going cross country on gravel from the Badlands to Iron Mountain, which would slow you down considerably.

Have a great trip.

6. Re: 2 Day Itinerary From Chicago this weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2010, 06:19