We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fargo nd to rapid city

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
fargo nd to rapid city

Thinking of travelling this route via Pierre in late May. thought it would be interesting. Anyone any thoughts on this.

Bertha

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
502 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fargo nd to rapid city

Late May should pose no weather-related travel problems. Which route are you considering?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fargo nd to rapid city

Thanks for replying.

Mapquest recommends the 94 to US 83 as far as Pierre then US14 to the 90, Almost 50mls less than using 29 &90, yes I know will be slightly longer time wise but hopefully more interesting.

Bertha

Edited: 10 February 2010, 18:14
Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fargo nd to rapid city

Might not be all that much slower on average considering road construction may have resumed on the freeways by then. The 20-30 mile long stretches of one-lane each way with slow speed limit and no passing allowed can really have an impact. Besides, while the four-lane freeways are convenient "real" America is found on a two-lane road.

Should be very green then in the grassland areas and along the river.

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
502 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fargo nd to rapid city

I haven't been on 83 north of Pierre for a few years, but we often use hwy 14 to drive to & from Pierre in good weather. It's about 30 minutes faster (for us) than I90 to 83 to Pierre. You won't find much traffic or towns. Gas & food can be bought in Midland or Phillip, or wait until Wall.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fargo nd to rapid city

Thanks All

If we take 14 all the way from Pierre to Rapid City am I right in saying we would miss Wall Drug?

Bertha

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
502 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fargo nd to rapid city

Hwy 14 merges with I90 just east of Wall to Sheridan Wyoming.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fargo nd to rapid city

Anyone have estimates for time driving this route.

Someone said 4 hrs Pierre to Rapid City, 7hrs Fargo to Pierre! This is not what Mapquest or Expedia say.

Thanks

Bertha

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
502 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fargo nd to rapid city

2 1/2 - 3 hours Pierre to Rapid City. A total of 10 hours of driving sounds right. Mapquest doesn't factor in meals, fuel & other stops.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: fargo nd to rapid city

Thanks.

We have, usually stop about every 2hrs or so, the person who gave me those times didn't include meals, said that was without stops. We had figured 10hrs with stops too sometimes 12 if we spot something along the way. I know its a long day but with stages is doable as we have done those long drives across the States before. We then take a 2 day break from driving only wee local trips if necesary.

We may cut across to Wahpeton instead of going all the way up to Fargo, we just want to say we visited ND.

Thanks Lohrs really appreciate local input.

Bertha

10. Re: fargo nd to rapid city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2010, 05:17