We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reviews/opinions on places you've stayed?

Colorado
Level Contributor
226 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Reviews/opinions on places you've stayed?

My husband and I and 2 daughters (ages 4 & 8) are heading to Black Hills and Badlands area around June 9. We want to stay for 2 nights and really looking for something other than typical hotel, like a cabin or lodge. I've seen a good review of the resorts at Custer State Park (Blue Bell, Sylvan, etc.). They're a little more than what we wanted to pay, but I hear it's pretty. I just wondered if there's 1) a place on TripAdvisor to see reviews of different places people have stayed in Keystone, Hill City, Custer, or Silver City or 2) if anybody reading this wants to tell us where they stayed and if they liked it or not.

Thanks!

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
314 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reviews/opinions on places you've stayed?

To the left of your message is the green menu box. It should say 'South Dakota' at the top. Click on 'South Dakota Hotels' (about 2 down from the top) and a list of cities for South Dakota will come up. You can then click on each city to get accomodation reviews. Hope this helps.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,107 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reviews/opinions on places you've stayed?

We stayed at the K Bar S Lodge because of the reviews for our trip to the Black Hills. We paid around $130 per night but thought the location at the base of Mt. Rushmore and the nice hot breakfast made the lodge well worth the price. The lodge sits back off the road in a wooded area and each morning we could see deer, wild turkey, etc. from the windows in the breakfast area. We would stay there again if we were in the area.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reviews/opinions on places you've stayed?

One of the best things about TA is the reviews. I make it a point to post as many as I can after staying anywhere or for many restaurants and attractions. Nice thing about TA too is the reviews are scrutinized and vetted to avoid spamming and slamming by establishments. I still tend to take the really grumpy ones with a grain of salt, especially if all the rest are glowing as well as check the number of posts (and topics) for the posters to assure they are real travelers. These I give higher credibility.

In Black Hills we either stay in Deadwood (Hickok's Iron Horse Inn) or Custer (Bavarian Inn) and I think I've done reviews for both. Iron Horse wouldnot be suitable with kids but Bavarian has both indoor and outdoor pools. Otherwise typical motel.

Edited: 21 May 2010, 20:03
Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,702 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reviews/opinions on places you've stayed?

I like the Roosevelt Inn in Keystone. The location is nice..away from the boardwalk area, and they offer larger family suites with a separate living area. I know you are saying you aren't looking for a typical hotel, but we really liked it there. It's family owned and operated and very clean. Having Big Time Pizza right at the hotel was an added plus. The property has an indoor pool and family game room and offers plenty of parking, which not all properties in Keystone have an abundance of.

Definitely read the reviews on here; I have found that by taking the "average" opinion of the reviews is most helpful. Most of the time, if you stay in a top 5 or top 10 rated property, you will fare well.

Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
753 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reviews/opinions on places you've stayed?

I don't know how much (or little) you're looking to spend but I know some people who recently stayed at the Double Diamond Ranch B&B and really liked it. Its is a working quarter horse ranch and the owners were very friendly. They said they were in the separate cabin which was actually like a guest house and they saw big horn sheep and deer in the evening and also made friends with the resident cat that followed them around and sat outside their door. Since its a horse ranch your kids might also like to watch their horses too I guess. I just looked them up and it looks like a nice place for the family and seems to have good reviews. Just a thought. Personally - I love to stay at Audry's B&B but that's not a kid friendly place. Other than that I could only recommend hotels.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
683 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reviews/opinions on places you've stayed?

For the past 2 years we have rented a private cabin in the Hill City and have been very pleased. I would highly recommend the cabin we rent but reservations need to be made a year in advance. I am, however, including a web site for all types of lodging in the Hill City and Custer State Park area. Just click on lodging and you will find lots of different options.

http://www.hillcitysd.com/

Keystone, SD
Level Contributor
102 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reviews/opinions on places you've stayed?

Reviews can be very helpful if you keep a couple of things in mind.

First, people who have had a bad experience are a 100 times more likely to write a review than people who have had a good experience.

Second, be wary of reviews posted by persons who are recently joined and have only posted one review that says a business is absolutely fabulous. Unfortunately, most chains have now discovered "social media" and have paid consultants whose job is to get positive reviews posted. The worst of them actually post their own reviews. Others offer incentives to guests who post reviews. I have talked to TA representatives about this and they are aware of the problem. They told me they are working on it, but ... well, the cold hard fact is that the shills have always been well ahead of them.

8. Re: Reviews/opinions on places you've stayed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2010, 05:17