We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking hotels??

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
187 reviews
Save Topic
Booking hotels??

We are thinking of heading to South Dakota in the next couple of weeks. This won't be our first visit and we normally book our hotels in advance but this is a last minute trip. We are in desperate need of a vacation and still really don't know where we will go. How bad is it to walk into a hotel and try to get a room in South Dakota in mid-July?

We are a family of 5 so I know that will create some problems.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,021 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking hotels??

We do not go anywhere during vacation season without reservations whether that be the Black Hills, Yellowstone, Glacier, Acadia NP or Destin, Florida. We travel all over the US during the prime vacation months and have seen on more than one occassion people being turned away from a hotel because the hotel was booked that night.

Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
753 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking hotels??

I don't suggest doing that but I think you'd be okay. You just severely limit your choice options. Obviously you'll have a harder time finding walk in accommodations in the smaller communities in the Black Hills, like Keystone, Custer or Hill City, but I think you could find some lodging in Rapid City. The thing is you may have to try, try again which can be time consuming and frustrating and you may not get something that is as ideal as you'd like. However, RC has tons of hotels and more are being built as I type this. You will find a room somewhere.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,690 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking hotels??

Casey,

I agree with the others that I would not endorse travelling without reservations during peak tourist season, but I recall some of your other posts. I know you have been to the area before and liked staying in Rapid City. As long as you are ok with this, I think you might be able to wing it as ALB said. I would think there's probably a very good chance that some of the hotels in the smaller towns would be booked (i.e. K Bar S in Keystone, and maybe even Roosevelt Inn, also in Keystone, and Holiday Inn Express in Hill City). Ditto on some of the lodges in Custer State Park.

Rapid has plenty of chains that should be able to accomodate your family of 5. I was actually thinking the LaQuinta or Fairfield, which are connected to Watiki Waterpark??? Just a thought. Their website says they have 250 rooms.

Good luck, and enjoy your much needed vacation!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking hotels??

Thanks for the replies. We have no problem staying in Rapid City. We love the HoJo there but found that now that our youngest is 4 we can no longer stay there as she now puts us over the occupancy limit.

I think we may plan ahead so we don't waste time looking. It seems there are limited hotels that fit families of 5 (we don't want to get 2 rooms).

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,690 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking hotels??

I don't know if they have availability, but Roosevelt Inn in Keystone has family suites that could sleep up to 6. They are extremely roomy. Check it out..

rosyinn.com

Good luck!

Iowa
Level Contributor
284 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking hotels??

I vote for getting reservations before you leave home. My family and I stayed at the Super 8 on Lacrosse Street in Rapid City for a few days last week and they were booked solid as was every hotel in the vacinity...and it wasn't even the weekend.

While I was unloading our gear from the van I overheard two different people go to the front desk to see if they had anything available and they came back extremely frustrated. I got the impression they had been going around town from hotel to hotel for quite some time. Personally, I wouldn't want to deal with that on a vacation.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking hotels??

Thanks all. I have started booking hotels. I have had a hard time finding hotels now on the internet that have rooms available or that accomodate families of 5.

I just can't travel without plans. I tried it this time as everyone tells me how wonderful it is to be free to go where you want, but you can see I didn't make it far. It is so nice to pull into town and have a room waiting for you at a hotel you know about.

Off to book more hotels and do more research on what we want to do.

Thanks all!!!

Iowa
Level Contributor
104 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking hotels??

I've got one recommendation! We just cancelled our two night stay July 13-15 at Rock Crest Lodge in Custer. They are highly recommended on TAdvisor and it's a cabin w/ a loft...2 Queens and sofa bed.

I believe you can call Custer State Park Cental Reservations as they just bought them out. Good Luck!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking hotels??

Thanks but I have already finished booking our hotels.

1st night - Howard Johnson in Oacoma $79.99

2nd, 3rd, and 4th night - Country Inn and Suites in Rapid City $152 per night plus a $25 gift card for a restaurant (we stayed here on our honeymoon)

5th night - Ramada Airport in Sioux Falls with the waterpark $63.20

Any thoughts on the 1st and last lodging? Somehow I got a screaming deal on the Ramda considering there is a waterpark. Any thoughts on the hotel. I have already checked the reviews on here and some are mixed but they are all 1 posters so it makes me less likely to consider them.

Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
753 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking hotels??

I'm not familiar with the Ramada in SF but it could be a legit deal just because they need to book rooms. SF isn't the same tourist destination that RC and the Black Hills are. They certainly have their share of visitors but I bet they are more 1 or 2 night stayers. Of course they could also be running a deal because their waterpark will be closed for maintenance or something too. Oacoma is probably lower priced because of the area. They mainly get visitors that come for fishing or water sports on the river but a majority of those camp. The other visitors are travelers passing through.