We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning Trip Sept 2011 - early or late in the month?

Ohio
Level Contributor
247 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Planning Trip Sept 2011 - early or late in the month?

I am just starting to plan a trip to Mt. Rushmore / Yellowstone for Sept 2011. I am trying to figure out when the best time to go is. I want to avoid some of the summer crowds, but I also don't want it to be too cool. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,992 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning Trip Sept 2011 - early or late in the month?

Most schools are in session by the end of August. The later you get into Sept. and early October the weather can change rapidly in that part of the county. I think I would recommend early to mid Sept.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
683 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning Trip Sept 2011 - early or late in the month?

Although the weather can be unpredictable in Sept., we have been to the Black Hills on three different occassions during September and October. All three times we experienced absolutely gorgeous weather. Temperatures ranged in the low 70's to the high 80's during the day and very cool 40's at night. All the main attractions are still open in September and no crowds to speak of. In addition to those attractions, the Custer State Park Buffalo Roundup is held the end of September and is worth experiencing. The fall colors peak the end of September so it is a very pretty time of the year to be there. Nothing like the east coast but Spearfish Canyon is especially beautiful this time of year.

Ohio
Level Contributor
247 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning Trip Sept 2011 - early or late in the month?

Great. Thanks for the feedback. I am leaning towards the weekend after Labor Day.

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
502 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning Trip Sept 2011 - early or late in the month?

The first 2 weeks of Sept are generally very nice, but do keep an eye on the forecast as your trip time nears.

Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
753 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning Trip Sept 2011 - early or late in the month?

I think your idea to come the weekend after Labor Day is best. The earlier in September the better especially since you're considering going to YNP as well. You may want to head there first if you weren't already planning to do so. The mountain passes and higher elevations will already be receiving snow in September. Then stop back through the the Black Hills afterward. Please be aware that some tourist attractions in the area close for the season after Labor Day weekend but the parks and monuments are open year round.

6. Re: Planning Trip Sept 2011 - early or late in the month?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2010, 08:55