Hubby and I are driving up from RMNP on Friday 10th June, we will be arriving late ( Overnight Custer). Hopefully we will arrive early enough to see the Crazy Horse Memorial (even if it is only from the roadside).
Day 1(Sat 11th)
1. Wildlife Loop Road (starting at eastern entrance)
2. Wind Cave National Park -Garden of Eden Cave Tour
3. Mt Coolidge Firetower via Wildlife Loop Road (hubby is in the Rural Fire Service)
4. Jewel Cave Tour -Scenic Tour
6. Hike Sylvan Lake
7. Dinner ? Keystone
8. ? Mt Rushmore evening service (overnight Custer)
Day 2 (Sun 12th)
1. Iron Mountain Rd
2. Mt Rushmore -walk the Presidential Trail
3. Deadwood ?Kevin Costner's Original Deadwood Tour or visit the cemetary independently and Saloon No10
4. Tatanka 'The story of the Bison'
5. Devils Tower Monument, hike Tower Trail (overnight ???)
Day 3 (Mon 13th)
1. Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument (overnight Thermopolis)
Day 4 (Tues 14th)
1. The Wyoming Dinosaur Centre & Dig sites 4
2. Hot Springs NP for a quick soak, view Rainbow Terraces and the swinging bridge
3. Gunfight, Cody (Overnight Cody)
Day 5 (Wed 15th)
1. Buffalo Bill Historical Center
2. Buffalo Bill Dam
3. Rodeo (Overnight Cody)
Day 6 (Thurs 16th)
Thinking of basing ourselves at Custer? (I want to try to keep accommodation costs down if possible US$100pn)
Not sure if we can actually achieve everything listed in our first 2 days?
Would love to go to Bear World but obviously insufficient time if we do everything on our itinerary. We do have caves with stalagmites and stalactites not far from where I live, we don't have bears, Koalas don't count.
Where would you recommend staying on the Sunday after we leave Devils Tower?
I believe there is a scenic byway on route US 212, thought this may be nice route to get to Bighorn.
I realise we will spend most of Monday driving but this will give us a full day in Thermopolis and a full day in Cody.
I already have accommodation booked on the 16th - 20th in YNP.
Thank you in advance for all comments.