We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is there to do at night?

chicago
Level Contributor
107 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
What is there to do at night?

Besides see Mt Rushmore lite up? I do not plan to drive any of the crazy twisty roads, but what else is there to do in the evenings?

Are there any sunset tours?

We will be staying 2 nights Deadwood, 3 nights north of Hill City, 3 nights Custer and 3 nights Badlands area.

thanks!

Illinois
Level Contributor
376 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is there to do at night?

deadwood would have the most to do at night with the gambling that is there. other than that, the area dosn't have much nightlife. the badlands area rolls up the sidewalks at sundown. enjoy the sunsets and the stars. i think the visitor center in the badlands has a night program.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
683 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is there to do at night?

Besides gambling you can almost always find some live entertainment in Deadwood. Crazy Horse has a lazer show every night that the kids always enjoy. If I remember correctly the admittance fee is bring some can goods.

The Black Hill Playhouse usually has plays and/ or musicals througout the summer. I am not sure what they are doing this year. Their facility has been closed down. Last year they presented their plays in different towns througout the Black Hills. A couple of years ago we went into Rapid City one evening to the WaTiki Indoor Water Park Resort. We have also gone miniature golfing at the Putz n' Glo Black Ligt Miniature Golf not far from Bear Country on Hwy. 16.

Most evenings we sit out on the deck at the cabin and star gaze for awhile and then play some games. Slrtravelplanner is right. Not alot of night life.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,803 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is there to do at night?

Hey Mtn Mama,

I just wanted to let you know I just read on-line the other night that the Black Hills Playhouse is back open again in its home in Custer State Park. Here's a link to their site:

…weebly.com/2011-season.html

I have not been to the playhouse, but it always looked quite quaint from the outside. My hometown has a small local theater, and it's a lot of fun.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
683 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is there to do at night?

I thought of another evening activity. On Thursday evenings Rapid City has what the call "Summer Nights", an evening filled with food, drink, music, art and children's games. It is held dowtown on Seventh Street between Main St. and St. Joseph St. what is called Art Alley. Musicians and artists are all local; music styles include country, classic rock, alternative/classic, blues/rock as well as a Beatles cover band. Hours are from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. throughout the summer.

srltravelplanner - Thanks for the link. I, too, just read they have reopened the theater. We have not been there for many years. In fact, it has been so long I do not remember the name of the play we saw. It was a family oriented comedy. The performance was not as good as we are used to in the Chicago area but was very enjoyable and a fun evening. The building is quaint and needed some work when we were there. I am glad they have reopened it.

5. Re: What is there to do at night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 08:22