We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route and lodging for visiting Badlands and Mt Rushmore

Brentwood, Tennessee
Level Contributor
121 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Route and lodging for visiting Badlands and Mt Rushmore

We will be on a month long road trip and need help planning this portion of the trip. We will be coming along I90 from Sioux Falls and plan on stopping for the night in Rapid City. Should we make a detour through Badlands on our way to Rapid City, and is this a feasible place from which to explore the Mt Rushmore, Custer State Park area?

We will be moving on to Yellowstone after our visit in South Dakota and would like suggestions on the best way to proceed through this area and on to Yellowstone.

Thanks for any help.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,876 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route and lodging for visiting Badlands and Mt Rushmore

Definitely see the Badlands enroute to the Black Hills. I would not stay in Rapid City for the duration of your time in the Black Hills. Keystone, Hill City or Custer are much more centralized base towns to the most popular attractions/

How many days do you have to allocate to this area? Besides Custer SP and Rushmore, what else would you like to see? If you haven't already done so, be sure to order a travelplanner from travelsd.com.

Here's my list of must sees for the area:

Badlands

Mt Rushmore

Custer State Park

Crazy Horse

Wind Cave

Jewel Cave

Devil's Tower

You can easily see Devil's Tower enroute to Yellowstone. From there, you could stop in Cody to see the 1st rate Buffalo Bill Museum Complex.

I hope this was somewhat helpful. If you provide a little bit more information, we can assist you even more.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,022 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route and lodging for visiting Badlands and Mt Rushmore

Great ideas. We like the K Bar S Lodge in Keystone. Others like the Roosevelt Inn in Keystone. There are also cabins in Custer SP for lodging choices. Great info in the travel planner. You can go online and view it or order a hard copy.

Go to

www.travelsd.com

and click on Black Hills.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
7,860 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route and lodging for visiting Badlands and Mt Rushmore

You should definitely visit the Badlands.

You could use Rapid City as your base for Mt Rushmore and Custer SP but you may want to consider staying somewhere further west so that you won't have to backtrack to Rapid from these sites. Having stayed in Keystone and visited Hill City, I'd recommend Hill City.

pa
Level Contributor
147 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route and lodging for visiting Badlands and Mt Rushmore

Depending on your interests you might want to add the minuteman missile national historic site to your visit of the badlands. It is right there. If you are used to moving from hotel to hotel staying in Rapid City is not a bad idea after a day at the badlands. It is another hour to the tourist cities of the badlands. I would not miss Devil's Tower. Custer State Park is nice but you will see much of this in Yellowstone so it is not necessary. We did this trip too but we were very underimpressed by Mt. Rushmore, really didn't like Deadwood either. I would not devote a lot of time to the Black Hills after our experience. Of course, everyone has different likes and dislikes.

Brentwood, Tennessee
Level Contributor
121 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route and lodging for visiting Badlands and Mt Rushmore

Thanks for the help. I am still working on a time frame for this area and hoping we can fit it all in.

1 Sioux Falls to Rapid City,( detour through the Badlands on the way ) overnight Rapid City

2.Rapid City to Custer St Pk, stay in Keystone or Hill City,

3.Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Maybe a second night in Keystone or head up to Deadwood for the night.

4.Deadwood to Cooke City via beartooth hwy. Overnight before heading into Yellowstone.

Does this sound doable or do you have other suggestions for routing and stays?

As soon as I get this leg of the trip planned I will start working on Yellowstone, then Tetons, Rocky Mtn Nat Pk and down through Santa Fe to start the trip back to Kentucky.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,571 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route and lodging for visiting Badlands and Mt Rushmore

perhaps Deadwood to Cody for the night and then up and over the Beartooth? Cody has great museums and a rodeo each summer night. Be sure to make the detour to Devils Tower along the route as well.

For YNP, we had 4 days/nights-- Tetons 2. Would've liked more.

From the Tetons, we headed to RMNP. Stopped at South Pass City and Independence Rock. Drove the Snowy Range byway and stopped in Laramie for the night. Only 2 hours to Estes Park from there. 2 days/nights at RMNP. We're not big hikers-- but definitely need 2 days there.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,022 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Route and lodging for visiting Badlands and Mt Rushmore

Yes go to Cody then up Chief Joseph and Beartooth and enter YNP at NE Entrance. Great scenic roads!!!

Bethlehem...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Route and lodging for visiting Badlands and Mt Rushmore

We are traveling from Bethlehem, Pa. Would like to visit Mount Rushmore, Crazyhorse and the Badlands. Would like to visit Deadwood to. Talking about going to Glacier National Park from there. Our real interest is seeing the Natural beauty of all of this with the wildlife that exists etc.

Edited: 07 August 2011, 01:38
Brentwood, Tennessee
Level Contributor
121 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Route and lodging for visiting Badlands and Mt Rushmore

I have made a revision on this part of the route as follows...

1Rapid City to Custer St Pk, stay in Keystone or Hill City,

2.Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse area and on to Gillette for the night visiting Devil's tower and Spearfish Canyon while in the area.

3. Gillette to Cody for overnight.

3.Cody to Cooke City via beartooth hwy. Overnight before heading into Yellowstone.

Any comments on this revision would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Jan

Brentwood, Tennessee
Level Contributor
121 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Route and lodging for visiting Badlands and Mt Rushmore

I have just checked prices on some hotels in The Black Hills area and am flabbergasted by the prices. $454.99 for the Holiday Inn Express in Keystone, $227.99 for Holiday Inn Express in Custer? Hill City Holiday Inn Express is unavailable already? This is for regular room and advance payment rates. We do have AAA, but of course that rate is not available.

I know this includes Labor Day, but this seem outrageous for this type of hotel. Is this usual? If so, I may have to rethink my stay there or completely redo my schedule.