We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel with pool ?

Carle Place, New...
Level Contributor
706 posts
Save Topic
Hotel with pool ?

We are arriving in Rapid City on Sept 9 and have reservations at the Holiday Inn Express Hill City for 4 nights. My husband is now wishing we had a hotel with a pool - outdoor. Won't it be chilly that time of year ? If not - can you recommend one ? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Rapid City
Rapid City
South Dakota
Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
502 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel with pool ?

Most of the hotels with outdoor pools are the older motels. I seem to recall that city pools close Labor Day. If you find a lodging with an outdoor pool you would need to call to check when the pools close.

It is 51 degrees this morning, the nights are really cooling down this week.

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
502 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel with pool ?

I should add that the forecast for today is 90, so the days are still quite warm.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
683 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel with pool ?

Warm days and cool nights are the norm for early September. Average highs can range from the high 60's to low 80's during the day with temps falling as low as the 40's at night. I cannot think of any outdoor pools off hand, but there are several lakes with nice little beaches. Sylvan Lake, Legion Lake and Center Lake in Custer State Park and Sheridan Lake and Pactola Lake just north of Hill City to name a few. The marinas at both Pactola and Sheridan Lakes rent motor boats. Rowboats and paddleboats are popular rentals at Sylvan and Legion Lakes.

Mentioned in this post
Pactola Lake
Pactola Lake
29 Reviews
South Dakota
Hill City
Hill City
South Dakota
St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
40 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel with pool ?

There are a couple of hotels in the town of Custer that have outdoor pools, but they are older properties. The pools also didn't seem very private. They were within plain view of the street and not far off the sidewalk right in town. I don't know if that bothers you or not, but it would not be ideal for me. I think one of the hotels with the outdoor pool was called the Dakota Cowboy Inn, but I'm not positive. I just remember seeing a couple outdoor pools when we we walking around the town. I would stick with your original plan, as I would rather stay in a HIE than in one of the older, outdated hotels with outdoor pools.....but to each their own. Have a good trip!

Mentioned in this post
Custer
Custer
South Dakota
Carle Place, New...
Level Contributor
706 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel with pool ?

Thanks everyone ! Yes...we will stay with HIE. They have an indoor pool and I think it will be a little too cool in the early evening to relax in an outdoor pool anyway.

6. Re: Hotel with pool ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 11:19