We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thank goodness for Digital Cameras and 2 gig cards

CT
Level Contributor
87 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Thank goodness for Digital Cameras and 2 gig cards

I just returned from a wonderful trip to the Black Hills area and Yellowstone and will try to report seperately in South Dakota and then Wyoming.

First I would like to thank all who help advise me. Things really did work out well and I wish I had more time to spend in the area as there was so much to do.

Our first stop was the Evening light show at Mount Rushmore after a long drive there. The light show was very nicely done though not what we expected. It was neat being at the monument at night and seeing it lit up. The show was basically an introduction to the monument through a movie....... so when there, it is better to go down to the lower level. It will be easier to see the movie, which we had not done as we did not know what to expect. There was also a nice ceremony to honor veterans. So many men and women went on stage it was very impressive and Thank You.

We stayed at the K Bar S Lodge. It was nice and clean with a good breakfast included, but..... it did not have the view we also expected. You could see Mount Rushmore but only the side view of Washington.

The next morning we went back to Mount Rushmore for a free tour and walk around the base. We then drove to Custer State Park via Iron Mountain Road and did the wild life loop. Bison of course with a friendly visit by donkeys then came a drive on Needles Highway looping back around to go to a lanturn tour at Jewel Cave. The drives were great and full of scenary and the Cave was fun.. there did seem some dangerous parts climbing up and down narrow ladders but we made it out just fine.

The day ended with a visit to Crazy Horse Monument for that evening's light show. We had a good reasonably priced dinner there at the restaurant there., Laughing Water restaurant. There is also a nice Indian museum and the light show was what we generally expected of lazer light shows... fairly enjoyable.... on to a long evening drive to Spearfish for a stay at the Holiday Inn. It was also very comfortable.

The next morning we took a side trip to Devils Tower on our way to Cody, Wy. Devil's tower had a great walk around the base and we were able to view others who were actually climbing it. Cute area on the way up the entrance drive where ground hogs were poping out of their holes.

Thats it for South Dakota. It was great. Thanks again. On to Wyoming.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,124 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thank goodness for Digital Cameras and 2 gig cards

Thanks for the trip report. So glad you had a nice vacation!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
683 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thank goodness for Digital Cameras and 2 gig cards

Nice trip report. We enjoy hearing from those we have helped.

3. Re: Thank goodness for Digital Cameras and 2 gig cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 23:16