We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will it be to cold/snowy to go to SD Badlands this APRIL??

3 posts
Save Topic
Will it be to cold/snowy to go to SD Badlands this APRIL??

My sister and are going to be driving from NY to SD in early/mid April and need to be in Kentucky by May. We wanted to visit the Badlands, Mt Rushmore, and Wind Caves. We were hoping to do some light hiking along the trails. From what I've read April does not seem like the most ideal time but wanted to get other opinions. Will there likely be snow in Apr? Will we still see the animals? Basically we want to know if it is us worth visiting SD at this time.

Thanks!

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
501 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will it be to cold/snowy to go to SD Badlands this APRIL??

Spring weather in the Black Hills is quite variable, there is no snow on the ground right now in the lower elevations & it is supposed to be 65 degrees for the next few days. However March & April blizzards happen most years.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,282 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will it be to cold/snowy to go to SD Badlands this APRIL??

I would not go in April. Rapid City has some of the wackiest weather out there. It can be 70 degrees one day and blizzarding the next. June is a better time.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will it be to cold/snowy to go to SD Badlands this APRIL??

Depends on the day!

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
88 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will it be to cold/snowy to go to SD Badlands this APRIL??

Snowy - no. Possibly cold and rainy - yes.

5. Re: Will it be to cold/snowy to go to SD Badlands this APRIL??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 11:16