We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the easiest / cheapest way to get to South Dakota?

Devon UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
What's the easiest / cheapest way to get to South Dakota?

Hi

We're coming over from the UK in August and need some help with our planning. We want to go to Niagara Falls, New York and South Dakota. We can either land in Torronto or New York on arrival from the UK. Then we can get the train between New York and Niagara Falls...but what is the best way to get to South Dakota? And is it better to go from Niagara or New York?

We will rent a car when we're in South Dakota so don't mind which part we arrive in. I can't decide which the best way round is and which would be the cheapest or easiest way to get to the South Dakota region.

I know what i want to when I get there..but how to get there is the stumbling block.

There are 2 of us.

Thanks

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,164 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the easiest / cheapest way to get to South Dakota?

To my knowledge, Rapid City isn't served by Amtrak (train). It looks like Greyhound bus does service Rapid, so you might look into that avenue. You'd probably get the most options by leaving from New York.

Personally, if it were me, I'd look to rent a car and drive from wherever you end up. Rapid City isn't a bustling metropolis like NYC, Boston, Toronto, etc.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the easiest / cheapest way to get to South Dakota?

If you're talking about New York City, NY, Niagara would be closer. However, it is about a 1,500 mile drive from Niagara to Rapid City. Not trying to discourage you from visiting our wonderful state, but if your budget allows, you may want to consider visiting South Dakota on a different trip (possibly combining it with a visit to Yellowstone Park?). You are talking about 2, 12 hour days of driving from Niagara to Rapid and then 2 days back.

If you're up for such a trip, I too, would rent a car. Being on a Greyhound bus for that duration of time would be very uncomfortable. You would most likely use Interstate 90. That would take you right into Rapid City. Make sure you don't hit Chicago at rush hour. When driving west, be careful how you plan your motel stays and filling your gas tank. Once you cross the Missouri River, food and lodging options are few and far between.

Devon UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the easiest / cheapest way to get to South Dakota?

Thanks Guys.

We will rent a car when we get there..it's the getting there bit we're stuck on. We're in the USA for 2 months in total and after this section we're flying down to Orlando so it'll be one way. I thought we might be able to get a cheap (ish) flight from NYC (or Buffalo) into the area...but can't seem to find anything. they all seem expensive and involve changes...but there do seem to be lots of airlines so i thought I might have just missed something. it looks like it's too far to drive all the way.

Really it's my partner who wants to go to South Dakota...he wants to visit Sturgis when the Bike Rally is on..and then have a drive tour around the area. We just did't realise it would be so difficult to get to...

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,164 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the easiest / cheapest way to get to South Dakota?

I don't know if you realize it, but lodging sells out months in advance during the Sturgis rally. If you can find accomodations, prices will be at a premium. The area is extremely crowded during this time..enough for me to say I've never been during the rally and never plan on going, as I don't really enjoy crowds.

Rapid City is an expensive airport to fly into. You might consider checking flights into Denver. You could probably get a non-stop. It's about a 6 hour drive from Denver to the Black Hills. I'd take this any day over a 24 hour drive.

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
791 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the easiest / cheapest way to get to South Dakota?

You can get a non stop to Denver for very reasonable prices from NYC like $120 one way with Southwest or JetBlue. Get a good night sleep at Denver then do one day of driving. Be ready for altitude adjustment in Colorado - drink lots of water, take aspirin or substitute, and eat sensibly, and perhaps, no alcohol the first couple of days. Why not consider Yellowstone National Park if Sturgis is sold out? If so, fly to Salt Lake City, Utah. We did that trip and it was very reasonable with airfare, car rental, and lodging with that option. Just realize you may have to stay outside the park, but go on the Yellowstone forum for all that. :-) Enjoy!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,801 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the easiest / cheapest way to get to South Dakota?

Flying into Denver would be cheaper and renting a car. But beware that hotel rates that normally go for around $125 per night go for $250-$300 per night during Sturgis. Probably find more choices in Rapid City than in some smaller towns like Hill City, Custer and Keystone but you might also try those places.

Devon UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the easiest / cheapest way to get to South Dakota?

Thanks for this.

What kind of radius would be affected by the rise in prices due to Sturgis...just wandered how far away you'd need to go to get away from the zone....We'd like to go to the the rally...but only on a visit...not too worried about staying in Sturgis itself.

Cheers

New York
Level Contributor
905 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's the easiest / cheapest way to get to South Dakota?

I agree with flying into Denver...and renting from there.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,164 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's the easiest / cheapest way to get to South Dakota?

The entire Black Hills region is affected to a degree, but the further south you go, the better your odds of finding lodging. Hot Springs is about 85 miles from the town of Sturgis and would probably have availability. I have never stayed there, so I can't really recommend any lodging. As Peach said, you could also check Rapid City, which is only about an hour away from Sturgis, but I would imagine it will be a little harder (and pricier) to get lodging.

You mention about not wanting to stay in Sturgis...I would imagine everything in that entire area is probably sold out by now. I have a colleague who visits Sturgis every year and makes his reservations in Hill City (at a campground) almost a year in advance.

10. Re: What's the easiest / cheapest way to get to South Dakota?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 00:15