We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic / Road Construction Across S Dakota - June 2012 FYI

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
93 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic / Road Construction Across S Dakota - June 2012 FYI

I don't see anybody mentioning this, but I drove the length of SD the Memorial Day week. Traffic was light, but we ran into a ton of construction zones throughout the week.. None of it was marked by the local (at home) AAA office on the road maps they gave us.

Mostly, we saw orange cones and few, in any, workers. Some of these days were weekends. But there were construction zone speed limits - enforced? I don't know what it will be like as the summer continues.

There were MILES when the number of lanes was reduced.

You might want to keep this in mind if you are planning tight driving schedules. Maybe those who live in SD can shed more light on this.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
683 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic / Road Construction Across S Dakota - June 2012 FYI

We drive to SD on I-90 every summer and fall and there is always construction going on. Fortunately, other than the speed limit lowers through these zone's, we have never experienced delays. I will warn anyone driving that direction to watch your speed at all times and do not go much over the 75 MPH or construction zone limits. You hardly ever see a police car, but they get you from the air in SD. All of the sudden a police car will appear. Construction in the Black Hills is usually done at night, so you rarely experience delays due to construction. Delays caused by the buffalo herds or other wildlife is another story.

Mentioned in this post
Black Hills
Black Hills
122 Reviews
South Dakota
2. Re: Traffic / Road Construction Across S Dakota - June 2012 FYI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2013, 20:15