We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Rapid City to Salt Lake City

Maryland
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Driving from Rapid City to Salt Lake City

Any suggestions for the most economical car rentals, where we can pick up the car in one destination and drop it in another. Should I expect to pay drop-off fees?

Thanks

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Rapid City to Salt Lake City

You can really do this just about anywhere; however, be prepared to pay drop off fees, which are very steep. I have never done this due to these fees, but I have read that sometimes people have avoided them. It can be difficult, however. I think if you rent and drop off at a different airports, the fees are unavoidable. It may help to rent from a company located off airport and drop off somewhere in SLC other than the airport.

I believe Peachbelle has done this, and she posts regularly on here. She might have a suggestion for you. I can tell you that Rapid typically does have higher priced car rentals at the airport than some larger airports. I am going to guess that rentals at SLC airport would be cheaper.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,743 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Rapid City to Salt Lake City

Yes it can be very expensive. I would check picking up in Rapid City and dropping off in SLC and vice versa. A good place to check car rental rates for all major companies is at www.carrentals.com. You might also check with your insurance company, AAA, Costco, Sam's, etc and see if they have discounts.

I just did a one way rental flying into Denver and out of Albuquerque and got a good rate thru my insurance company. I did make my reservations in May for our trip in September. The closer to the time the rates tripled in price.

3. Re: Driving from Rapid City to Salt Lake City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2013, 10:15