We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Custer or Keystone the night before Rapid City flight?

Virginia
Level Contributor
57 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Custer or Keystone the night before Rapid City flight?

We will be in the Black Hills area in August with our grandkids for 6 days/nights before flying back east from the Rapid City airport. We plan to do the Badlands first, and then spend 4 days seeing Mt. Rushmore, Needles Highway, Sylvan Lake, Custer Park, Crazy Horse, Mammoth fossil site, and one of the caves during this time. We also will do a couple of the tourist things with the kids; i.e., Bear country, Reptile garden, Big thunder gold mine.

We'd prefer to minimize the hotels and stay in the same hotel for those last 4 nights, and we are thinking of Custer or Keystone. The concern is that if we stay in Custer or Keystone, would it be difficult to get to the airport in time to check in for our 11:30AM flight?

Does anyone know the travel time required from Custer or Keystone to the airport -- this would be on a Friday morning in August, if that makes a difference.

Also, with our planned sight seeing, does Keystone or Custer make more sense.

Thank you!

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Custer or Keystone the night before Rapid City flight?

Keystone and Hill City are the most centrally located. With an 11:30 flight, you should have no trouble if you plan properly.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,885 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Custer or Keystone the night before Rapid City flight?

Agreed. Between Keystone and Custer, Keystone is closer to the airport and other attractions. It's about 40 minutes from Keystone to RAP, and about an hour from Custer to RAP. RAP is a small airport, and you could probably get away with arriving 90 minutes before your flight and be ok.

With your party make-up (all the grandkids), I'd opt for Keystone, as I feel it's more family oriented. You have the Alpine Slide, Presidential Wax Museum, Big Thunder Gold Mine, 1880 Train, and Holy Terror Mini Golf in town. Additionally, you have many quirky souvenir shops kids would love. Plus, Bear Country and Repitle Gardens are an easy drive from Keystone.

Traffic in SD is nothing like here on the east coast. It's pretty easy to get around no matter what time of day compared to here.

Let us know if we can help further.

3. Re: Custer or Keystone the night before Rapid City flight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2014, 06:16