We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

deadwood, first week of September

Level Contributor
62 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
deadwood, first week of September

Hello there. We are planning a trip to South Dakota the first week of September. With the Sturgis Rally and all I was wondering if it's going to get really crazy in Deadwood. Are the places going to be crowded and filled with rowdy people? Or is it fairly family oriented?

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,876 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: deadwood, first week of September

No worries at all. The Sturgis rally is in August...the 5th to the 11th.

If you are traveling over the Labor Day holiday, Deadwood will be busy, but nothing like Sturgis time. Deadwood is not as family oriented as some of the other towns in the area due to the gambling component, but it's workable. They have nightly shootouts during peak tourist season that kids enjoy, and the Comfort Inn has Gulches of Fun, which is a small amusement attraction with go Karts, mini golf, etc.

Level Contributor
62 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: deadwood, first week of September

Thank you so much for answering me. The Comfort Inn sounds awesome. If you have any other suggestions of what we shouldn't miss please let me know. BTW my kids are 10,13 and 50. We love any kind of fun activity and adventure.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: deadwood, first week of September

Are you just hanging around Deadwood? How much time do you have? The whole first week?

Kids the age of yours would like the Alpine Slide in Keystone and Reptile Gardens. The adults and the 10 y.o. would like Bear Country, but your 13 y.o. would think it was lame. Putznglo black light indoor mini golf in Rapid is a fun "time filler" if you find yourself with a bit of extra time. If you live in a city that already has that type of thing, then skip it. My oldest two kids enjoyed it.

The others on here are great about helping people schedule the major scenic attractions, so I won't say anything about those other than if your kids aren't totally into scenery you may want to consider breaking up the scenic drives (Needles Hwy, Iron Mt. Rd, the Wildlife Loop in Custer State Park and Spearfish Canyon in the northern hills). People don't realize how time consuming these can be due to the slow speed you will have to drive and the stops for photos. Attempting more than one or two a day might result in cranky family members. It depends on their personalities.

Level Contributor
62 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: deadwood, first week of September

Thank you so much. The reason for the trip is mainly to see mt rushmore and my husband is hugely interested in the caves. Kids are quite open minded and love wildlife. We live in NYC so any change of scenery is very welcome.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,876 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: deadwood, first week of September

Now that we know a little more about you, I'd highly recommend not staying in Deadwood for your entire vacation. Many find that Deadwood is not a good base for touring, as you will be adding drive time to attractions like Rushmore, the caves, Crazy Horse, and Custer State Park. If you are staying the entire week, I'd recommend staying in Deadwood for a couple of nights and then moving down to Keystone, Hill City or Custer for the balance of the trip. Deadwood is considered the "north region" of the Black Hills and would be a good base for exploring Devil's Tower and Spearfish Canyon. Keystone, Hill City and Custer are considered the "central region" where most of the attractions are situated.

Your husband will love the area if he's into caves. Wind & Jewel Caves are must sees and operated by the national park service. In addition to those, there are many privately owned caves, including Rushmore, Sitting Bull, and Black Hills Caverns. Additional must sees include:

Mt Rushmore

Crazy Horse

Custer State Park

Devil's Tower

Spearfish Canyon

Badlands National Park

I also agree with 3174's recommendations about additonal attractions to see. We really liked Putz N Glo mini golf. It was a great rainy night activity.

Let us know if we can assist you further.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,876 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: deadwood, first week of September

Also, if you haven't already done so, be sure to order the South Dakota travel planner at travelsd.com.

Level Contributor
62 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: deadwood, first week of September

Thank you guys so much. We are so excited about this trip. Thanks again for the wonderful suggestions.

8. Re: deadwood, first week of September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2014, 06:18