We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling between Mt Rushmorre and Fargo

Auckland, Auckland...
4 posts
Save Topic
Travelling between Mt Rushmorre and Fargo

We are travelling from New Zealand to Fargo to visit our son. We are thinking that we would fly into Rapid City - stay in Keystone and visit Mt Rushmore the following morning. Spend the afternoon driving to Medora where we would go to the Music Show and stay the night before driving to Fargo the next morning...any advise??

Edited: 01 May 2013, 05:00
South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling between Mt Rushmorre and Fargo

From what I understand, you will only be spending one night and one morning in South Dakota. You could spend a week seeing attractions in the Black Hills, but I understand that, due to the distance you have to travel from New Zealand, this is probably not an option. A half day is a decent amount of time to see Mt. Rushmore. Be sure to walk the Presidential Trail if you are in average or above average physical condition. It is a short trail, but has many steps. To me, it was the highlight of my visit to Mt. Rushmore because it allowed many opportunities to photograph from unique angles.

Since the rest of your trip is going to involve driving across North Dakota, I would post your questions about that portion of the trip in the North Dakota forum. You are probably aware that one-way car rental is usually very expensive.

Auckland, Auckland...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling between Mt Rushmorre and Fargo

Thank you for your reply. I had read that the presidential trail was the way to go so we definitely plan on doing that.

The car rental is not ar bad as we thought as we will have the car for 23 days so this worked out the best way to travel for us.

I will post in the North Dakota Forum too.

Cheers!

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,809 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling between Mt Rushmorre and Fargo

Hi Marie,

What time does your flight arrive to Rapid City? I was thinking if it was early enough, maybe you'd have time to drive out to the Badlands that same day? Badlands National Park is only about an hour from the airport and can be seen in 2-4 hours. It's a gorgeous, unique landscape.

The Presidential Trail is definitely the way to go for seeing Rushmore, and as 3174 said, you can have lots of unique photo ops.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Auckland, Auckland...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling between Mt Rushmorre and Fargo

We arrive late - land in Rapid City about 9.00pm so will go straight to the hotel in Keystone once we pick up our car....would love to be able to spend a few more days but our reason for travelling is to visit our son and go to some of his softball tournaments and visit the families he has stayed with in Fargo....

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,809 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling between Mt Rushmorre and Fargo

Understood. I hope you will be able to return to the area some day when you have a little more time. Enjoy your trip!

6. Re: Travelling between Mt Rushmorre and Fargo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2014, 06:18