We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crazy Horse Night Blast

Missouri
Level Contributor
13 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
Crazy Horse Night Blast

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am in the middle of planning our trip to South Dakota in late June of this year. I noticed that we will be there during the week of the night blast at Crazy Horse and was wondering if it would be good to go to that event. Has anyone here been to one and can tell me a little of what it is like? Do they actually blast rock off the mountain during this? Does it take the place of the laser light show or is it in addition to it? The website says that if we arrive after 6pm, the admission is just 3 cans of food per person. That is cheaper than the $10 per person that they collect during the day. If we arrive after 6pm, will we be able to see all the exhibits and get a good viewing spot for the show. We plan to eat somewhere in Custer before we come to Crazy Horse so we won't have to worry about that. The photos and video I have seen online show it as some kind of pyrotechnics show. Is it worth it? Any info will be appreciated so that we can decide if we want to go to the night blast, or skip it and just see Crazy Horse sometime during one of our days and spend that evening doing something else. Thanks.

When I get our itinerary worked out, I will post it and get your opinions/suggestions.

Thanks for all the help past, present and future.

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
736 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crazy Horse Night Blast

Well I have no first hand knowledge but blasts are rare and exciting. They only do 2 special event mountain blasts per year and so it could have a large crowd. The day I visited in July, they had some notices up at the information desk announcing there would be a very small blast that afternoon after lunch and there was excitement rumbling through the whole place from the staff to vendors it seemed! They are not scheduled in general so its a big deal to come across a blast day. It may be busy regardless of a special event as well since late June is during the high travel summer season.

I googled it and found a YouTube video a visitor took in 2010..

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
683 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crazy Horse Night Blast

We have attended the night-time blast and stayed for the lazer show after the blast. IMO it was worth it. They set off a round of dynamite for each year of Ruth Ziolkowski's (the sculptor's wife) life on her birthday, June 26th. She will be 87 years old. The blast is after dark and quite impressive. It is well attended but very organized. It only has taken us about 10 or 15 minutes to get out of the parking lot after it is over. Our kids prefered the lazer show over the evening lighting ceremony at Mt. Rushmore. We have also taken many friends to the lazer show and all enjoyed it.

Crazy Horse has a fantastic Native American Museum that you would have time to check out as well as a fascinating video of the history of the carving. There is also a pretty good restaurant called The Laughing Waters where you could eat and a small grille also. During the day, Native American artisans are there working on their crafts and a Native American dance troupe performs throughout the day. If you want to go earlier than 6 pm I believe you have to pay the fee. Many people feel the fee is high but to me it is not that bad considering your fee and donations are the only funding they receive. Crazy Horse is non-profit. Most people do not realize this and think the family is just making alot of money off of everyone. Funding, as well as engineering technics or problems, weather, etc.,are the reasons the carving will take so long to complete. The family was offered government assistance but turned it down because they felt excepting would kill Ziolkowski's dream of what the monument should be. If you have any questions you can email Crazy Horse. I am including their web site for you.

http://crazyhorsememorial.org/

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Crazy Horse Night Blast

The night blast is definitely worth it! The laser show is great and the kids will enjoy it. The show displays the Native American cultures found in South Dakota and tells the story of Korczak and Crazy Horse, and their similarities. There would be plenty of time to see museums before the night blast if you arrive by 6pm. Oh, and the night blast does take place after the Laser Show. The Laser show starts around 9:30pm, and the blast will be around 10pm. We recommend being at Crazy Horse Memorial no later than 7pm because June 26th tends to be the busiest blast.

Missouri
Level Contributor
13 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crazy Horse Night Blast

Thanks for the info. I think we will go to Crazy Horse in the early evening to see the exhibits and take pics and stay for the laser show and night blast. Sounds like it will be a late night. We might have to schedule a small break earlier in the day to recharge.

Wyoming, Minnesota...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Crazy Horse Night Blast

Is there a place to view the night blast outside of the Crazy Horse grounds? With our two 5 year olds, I am unsure how they will be waiting for the late event. If there was somewhere to park, we could bring blankets and snacks and let them run around while waiting for the blast.

Thanks!!

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
736 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crazy Horse Night Blast

Sue, you might get more responses if you start your own question.thread. :-)

7. Re: Crazy Horse Night Blast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2014, 05:15