We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camp Grounds

Urbandale, IA
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Camp Grounds

Planning a trip mid September to the Black Hills looking for a NICE campground in the pine trees not campers stacked upon one another......any suggestions? Would want centrally located.

Edited: 11 August 2013, 15:05
South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Camp Grounds

Anything in Custer State Park is a good location. Blue Bell is highly recommended on here. If you go to www.campsd.com you can see photos of individual sites by mousing over the site number. This will give you a good idea of how wooded a campground is. On this same site, you can also see a map of the campground which will show how far apart the sites are. Generally, state parks have more spacious sites than commercial campgrounds. Just a heads up that South Dakota state parks do not have full hookups. This surprises some people. If Custer is a consideration for you, I would book ASAP as it is very popular and you are only a month out.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,884 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camp Grounds

In addition to Custer SP, you might also consider the Rafter J near Hill City. I have a friend who stays there annually during Sturgis and likes it. It's very convenient to Sylvan Lake, which is a hugely popular area. Sorry..I'm not sure how the sites are spaced, as I haven't been inside..only going by what I hear. Palmer Gulch also looks very nice and has a lot more activities, especially for kids. It's a KOA.

Urbandale, IA
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camp Grounds

Thanks appreciate the help.....have stayed at Sylvan Lake (not camping) and it is a beautiful area!

Urbandale, IA
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camp Grounds

Thanks for the suggestion but we are looking for full hook-up and was told you had to book a year in advance to stay in Custer.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Camp Grounds

Yes, if you want a full hookup, you will have to go to a commercial campground, such as one of those mentioned by Slrtravelplanner.

The year in advance means that that's when they start accepting reservations. You cannot book further out than a year. You can still book something for this weekend, for example, if they were to have availability. I entered a random week in mid September, and Blue Bell did have some openings as of today. But again, it's a moot point if you want the full hookups. Good luck! :)

Urbandale, IA
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camp Grounds

Appreciate the information and am now considering a few days in Custer.

7. Re: Camp Grounds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2014, 07:19