We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need yr opinion regarding my plan for my 10th wedding anniv?

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need yr opinion regarding my plan for my 10th wedding anniv?

Hello Everyone ,

My 10th wedding anniv is coming in november just a week before thanksgiving , we are thinking of driving down from minneapolis first to Sioux falls to stay a night there and see the fall park because apparently they light up the park and i saw pictures of it online and it looked beautiful .

Then second day we drive upto keystone to see mt rushmore and we wanted to visit storybook island for my son who is 6 years old .

i wanted to ask you experts if november is a good time to visit ?

and we wanted to rent a cabin this time in custer , nothing fancy , something clean , what are your recs?

and anything else we should see which i am missing on .

we will spend one night in sioux falls and 2 nights in keystone/custer .

Thank u all !!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,297 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need yr opinion regarding my plan for my 10th wedding anniv?

We rented a cabin in Custer this summer through VRBO. They are called Rocky Knolls Cabins (VRBO #455745) and we enjoyed our stay very much. We were in a one-bedroom cabin, but there are 2BR cabins available too which would work well since you have a child. They are in a quiet location just outside Custer (near the golf course and Flintstone Village). Our cabin was not fancy, but it was clean and comfortable and had some nice amenities like a gas fireplace and a hot tub. (Each of the cabins has a private hot tub, which you might enjoy on an November evening.) The rates were among the best I found. I'm not certain, but I think they stay open for at least some of November. (You may find that lots of cabins are closed for the season by November.)

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need yr opinion regarding my plan for my 10th wedding anniv?

Sadly, the light show at Falls Park has been discontinued. It's still, in my opinion, a nice place to see during the day, but probably not as romantic.

I would not care to visit the Black Hills in November, although you're from MN and are familiar with how blizzards can close roads and leave travelers stranded. You will have to call ahead and see what attractions and park roads are open. Storybook Island is closed for the season, but may open periodically for special events.

I am not trying to discourage you from visiting our state, but you may have a better trip if you wait until next summer.

Are you familiar with Arrowwood Lodge/Resort in Alexandria? They have a lot of winter activities. I think they have sleigh rides, ice skating and an indoor waterpark for your son. Just another suggestion.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,957 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need yr opinion regarding my plan for my 10th wedding anniv?

Unfortunately, I agree that it may not be the most ideal time to visit. A lot of the "kid friendly" attractions will be closed for the season in November, and the weather can be iffy as 3174 mentioned.

I know you mentioned cabins, but some hotels and restaurants in Keystone close for the winter. Just an FYI.

Are you able to visit during the warmer summer months? I think you might enjoy things more. The attractions operated by the park service will be open, but hours will be shorter. The Black Hills is a wonderful place for a family vacation, but not necessarily in November.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need yr opinion regarding my plan for my 10th wedding anniv?

Sorry, I just read the post again. I read "coming from Minneapolis", but looking at the description under your profile picture, it looks like you're from Texas. Either way, yes, you could visit in November. It would be a bit better than December-February as the temps would be slightly warmer and it's not the worst month for snowfall, but I would avoid coming then if there is a possibility to visit during the warmer months.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Need yr opinion regarding my plan for my 10th wedding anniv?

Thank u everyone , you all make a lot of sense , since its abt 8 hrs drive , we don't want to drive all the way and find all the attractions closed .... maybe ill plan in the summer ....

But I still want to go somewhere and celebrate .... my hunt is on :))

6. Re: Need yr opinion regarding my plan for my 10th wedding anniv?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2014, 05:19