We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black Hills in April???

Summit, New Jersey
Level Contributor
8 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Black Hills in April???

My children have spring break from April 12-19. Thinking of a national parks vacation in the Black Hills. We would want to hike in the national parks and see Mt. Rushmore. The low hotel prices and small crowds are appealing, but I am concerned about the weather. Is it worth the trade off to see the Black Hills in April? Will the prairies have grass and/or wildflowers at that time of year?

Mentioned in this post
Black Hills
Black Hills
122 Reviews
South Dakota
Missouri National Recreational River
National Parks, Bodies of Water
Black Hills
Forests, Geologic Formations, Mountains, National Parks
Mount Rushmore National Memorial
Monuments & Statues, National Parks
Wind Cave National Park
Caverns & Caves, National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas
South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Black Hills in April???

Don't do it. It's not worth the risk. It could hit 70 degrees or you could find yourself in the middle of a blizzard. Read the top question in the upper right corner entitled, "When is the best time of year to visit western SD?" Note what it says about Nov-April and May/October. I would also not try Yellowstone, Glacier or Rocky Mt. parks, either, as roads may be under snow and/or closed in higher altitudes. It was smart thinking to check this ahead of time. Hope you find someplace that works. :)

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,131 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Black Hills in April???

Definitely not worth the risk on the weather. Even May is a reach, as there have been blizzards in the Black Hills in May.

You might find more favorable weather in southern Utah (Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, or Zion). Bryce Canyon might be a bit cold due to the higher elevation. If you flew into Vegas,you could focus on Death Valley & Zion from there.

Mentioned in this post
Black Hills
Black Hills
122 Reviews
South Dakota
Utah
Utah
United States
3. Re: Black Hills in April???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2014, 14:34
Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,291 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Black Hills in April???

You're smart to ask about the weather before planning. We actually ran into snow at Bryce and sleet at Rocky Mountain in June 2010.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
41 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Black Hills in April???

My husband and I are also planning a trip to the Rapid City area between April 18-25. Last year, we tried to visit at the same time but cancelled because of all the snow they had and were having. However, a co-worker shared with me her strategy for checking on future weather reports for her vacations - Farmers Almanac and 2 other weather websites. I looked at 2 out of the 3 and the weather was favorable - high 50's. We are going to plan the trip but our 2nd option will be Moab, Utah with the weather expected to be 70's. Good Luck!

Mentioned in this post
Rapid City
Rapid City
South Dakota
Moab
Moab
Utah
6. Re: Black Hills in April???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 05:17