We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing Packing Tips

Connecticut
Level Contributor
681 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Clothing Packing Tips

We are leaving this Saturday for our much anticipated South Dakota vacation. One last minute packing question...I've been told the nights can get "chilly". We plan on bringing sweatshirts, but do we really need to pack long pants? We'll spend 1 night in De Smet, 1 in the Badlands NP, and the rest in the Black Hills. Thanks!

Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
893 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing Packing Tips

Yes. Bring long pants. It is likely that you'll need them in the Black Hills at night. Summer low temps in the 40s are common.

You see lots of "Custer State Park" sweatshirts around the Midwest because people come with clothes that are too light and end up buying heavier clothes.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
681 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing Packing Tips

Thanks - we'll bring a couple pairs of longs pants. I'm just hoping your incredible heat wave is over by the time we arrive!!!

Vallejo, California
Level Contributor
443 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothing Packing Tips

we were there a couple of weeks ago, and we took jackets, but not long pants. Never missed them.

alta
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothing Packing Tips

Bring an overshirt for possible night wear but long pants? Nah, the previous poster exagerates. It isn't the weather that may demand long pants, its the activity. Cowboys wear long pants daily.

5. Re: Clothing Packing Tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2006, 15:01
Connecticut
Level Contributor
681 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothing Packing Tips

I think I will bring 1 pair of long pants, or at least capris. It won't take up that much room in the suitecase. Big question...........is your heat wave expected to end by next week? I checked on the internet, but I find it is not generally too accurate (once I was looking out my window at 6 inches of snow, and the internet said we might get an inch or two!). I was expecting warm temps, but not over the 100 degree mark. I also believe that the Badlands National Park is generally hotter than the other parts of the state (?).

Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
893 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Clothing Packing Tips

As of today, it's quite a bit cooler. When you're here it looks like mid-80s during the day and mid-50s at night for Hill City/Custer.

Yes, the Badlands are warmer than the Hill City/Custer area. Usually anywhere from 5-20 degrees warmer. Unfortunately, an out-of-state visitor died last weekend from heat stroke while hiking in the Badlands.

8. Re: Clothing Packing Tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2006, 22:41
Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
893 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Clothing Packing Tips

I'm just trying to give accurate advice to traveler's questions. Like you and the rest of people on here, I give opinions along with facts. Beyond that, no extra comments are needed. Thanks.

Nisland, SD
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Clothing Packing Tips

I would bring pants. I would bring a shirt. I would bring socks. I would bring shoes. I would bring gopher repellant.