We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with middle part of trip

California
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help with middle part of trip

My husband and I will be traveling this July on our first trip to South Dakota. We'll be flying into Rapid City & then driving out to the Badlands staying in the area for 2 nights. Then I was thinking of driving up to Spearfish & Devils Tower & spending the night in the area. The next day on to Hill City for 4 days. We're not into big hiking. We like to travel leisurely. I'm wondering if we need more time in the Spearfish area. I could add a day. Open to any ideas. This is just the beginning steps of planning the trip.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,156 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with middle part of trip

We did a trip similar to yours last June. We started out by visiting the Badlands and then drove to the Devils Tower and Spearfish. If you aren't into "big hiking", I think you will find one night in Spearfish sufficient. That will give you enough time to see the D.C. Booth Fish Hatchery in Spearfish (worth a visit) and drive out to the Termesphere Gallery if you enjoy unusual art. Then you can drive through Spearfish Canyon on your way to Hill City.

We stayed at the Orchard Creek Cottages which I recommend. Unfortunately, it appears that the Bum Steer restaurant has closed for renovation/rebranding because I would recommend it too.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,912 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with middle part of trip

I agree that one night would be sufficient. It will take close to 3 hours to go from the Badlands to the tower, but you won't be far from Spearfish at all. Plus, the tower realistically only takes about 2 hours to see. You'd be back to Spearfish in a little over an hour.

I would get an early start from the Badlands, say no later than 8 a.m., and head to the tower.That would put you there around 11, finishing up by 1. If you get to Spearfish around 2 or 2:30, you would be able to see the Fish Hatchery easily before checking into your lodging.

You can drive through Spearfish Canyon the next day on your way to Hill City. I'd receommend heading down 385 to Hill City. It's a very scenic drive, particularly the Pactola Reservoir area.

California
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with middle part of trip

Thanks so much for the advice. Now I can go on planning more of the trip.

4. Re: Help with middle part of trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2015, 05:28