We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What attractions do/may require advance tickets?

Winona, Minnesota
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What attractions do/may require advance tickets?

We are narrowing in on our 2 week Black Hills vacation and I am wondering if anyone can think of any attractions where it may be a good idea to look into advance ticket purchases. We will be traveling June 8-21 and are a family of 5, kids ages 10, 7 and 3. We are a looking to hit as many sights and attractions as we can, within moderation of course. If I remember, both Wind and Jewel cave are best to get there as early as possible for tickets. We are planning the Grand Magic show in Custer an evening and it was suggested to call a week before we plan to attend for tickets. What about the 1880 Train? We're planning the Hill City to Keystone trip, on Father's Day, so I'm thinking it might be busier than usual. What about Circle B Ranch chuckwagon dinner? Can you all think of anything else that would be good to look into? Thanks so much!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,823 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What attractions do/may require advance tickets?

We stayed in some cabins in Custer last June (mid June) that were quite close to the Grand Magic Show theatre, so we drove by there nightly. I never saw more than a few cars in the parking lot each evening, so I can't imagine that you would need to pre-purchase tickets for this show as the stated capacity is over 500 people.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What attractions do/may require advance tickets?

I'd book the train ahead of time. We went in early June, before peak tourist season and it was packed on the way back from Keystone.

Yes, arrive at Jewel at opening for tickets. Ditto for the Minuteman Site if you do that.

If you go to the Mammoth Site, the Jr. Paleontology program requires advanced reservations.

3. Re: What attractions do/may require advance tickets?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2015, 06:17