We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

capital city

Brownsburg-Chatham...
Level Contributor
277 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
capital city

All my life, i thought that the capital of South Dakota was Pierre. When I was here, I was surprised that the capital city was Pier, not Pierre. Why do they not pronounce it properly.

Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
893 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: capital city

Nobody knows.

There are few French named cities in the US that are pronounced in correct French. Des Moines and Detroit come to mind.

McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
667 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: capital city

Baton Rouge, Louisiana comes to mind too.

I'm a Texan (planning on visiting Pierre... glad to know how to pronunce it! Thanks!) and we have lots of places in Texas where the names are of Spanish origin and not pronounced "properly". In fact, Texas' name is of Native American origin, and should be pronounced tay-hahs. Go figure.

Anyway, is there a lot of French influence in South Dakota? I never thought of that, but it would make sense!

Brownsburg-Chatham...
Level Contributor
277 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: capital city

Another couple of cities that come to mind as well are St. Louis and New Orleans, although they are fairly close to the correct pronounciation.

Oregon
Level Contributor
212 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: capital city

how else are "they" going to explain their pronunciation of Lead, Belle Fouche!

Oregon
Level Contributor
212 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: capital city

how else are "they" going to explain their pronunciation of Lead, Belle Fourche!

Brownsburg-Chatham...
Level Contributor
277 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: capital city

I went through Belle Fourche. How do they pronounce it ?

Oregon
Level Contributor
212 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: capital city

Bell Foosh

8. Re: capital city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 19:18