We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mystery Mountain Resort vs. Rafter J Bar Ranch

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
275 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Mystery Mountain Resort vs. Rafter J Bar Ranch

Hello everyone! We are planning a week in the Black Hills for summer 2007. I have heard wonderful things about the Rafter J Bar Ranch but am also intrigued by the Mystery Mountain Resort. Does anyone know anything about Mystery Mountain Resort? We would like to stay at a camping cabin so want to make our reservations somewhat early....... any help would be great!

Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
893 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mystery Mountain Resort vs. Rafter J Bar Ranch

I've never been in the cabins at either place but I can tell you about their locations.

Mystery Mountain is closer to Rapid City. If you plan on spending time at Bear Country, Reptile Gardens, Rapid City and the Badlands, Mystery Mountain is closer.

Rafter J is near Hill City. If plan on more time in Custer State Park, Hill City, Custer, Wind Cave, Jewell Cave, Crazy Horse and the Mickelson Trail, Rafter J is closer.

Both are of about equal distance to Mt. Rushmore.

Mystery Mountain has a Bluegrass festival in late June.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
275 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mystery Mountain Resort vs. Rafter J Bar Ranch

Thanks Accomodator,

We are actually looking at doing a little of everything but the main things on my list are:

Mt. Rushmore

Custer State Park

Wild Horse Sanctuary (is it worth the money?)

Badlands

Needles Highway

Harney Peak

Mammoth Hot Springs

Maybe a drive out to Devil's Monument......

So I guess I'm still up in the air.....

I just need to find a place that is teen friendly... a pool to hang around when we are at the campground, etc.

Custer
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mystery Mountain Resort vs. Rafter J Bar Ranch

From the list of places you want to see, other than the Badlands, RJB Ranch would be your better bet it's a lot closer than MM Resort to all the rest. I have never stayed at MM, see no point in it since I live here, but before we moved to the Black Hills, for ten yrs we stayed at the RJB, always felt it was the nicest in the Hills. You drive out their main gate turn left 500 ft and your at the road to Mt Rushmore, turn right maybe 100 ft you are at a road to Custer State Park, keep going right about 5 miles and you're at Crazy Horse Monument, another 5 your in Custer and on the road to Jewel Cave,Hot Springs, WHS or Devils Tower. Hope this helps.

4. Re: Mystery Mountain Resort vs. Rafter J Bar Ranch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 22:15