We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kadoka or Wall for the night before Badlands drive

on the lake...
Level Contributor
569 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Kadoka or Wall for the night before Badlands drive

We are driving from Minnesota, heading towards Rapid City, and eventually Yellowstone/Tetons. We are planning to arrive in the Badlands area at about 10pm, after making a 7-8 hour drive. Should we stop in Kadoka for the night, or push to get to Wall? What would be a better starting point for exploring the Badlands the next day? If we stay in Wall, would be be backtracking to the Badlands? It looks like from Kadoka, we could just continue our drive in the morning, right into the Badlands, then we can take a break in Wall that afternoon.

Also, my atlas shows one main loop through the Badlands...I90, 377 and 240. Is this really it, or are there other routes? I see 44, too, but it looks like it lies outside of the park. Is this correct? Any help with this? Thanks!

Lincoln, NE
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
685 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kadoka or Wall for the night before Badlands drive

I suggest that you stay at Circle View ranch B&B which is at Interior, SD and south of the east entrance of the Badlands loop. This is a family owned working catlle ranch and a beauriful place to enjoy the sunset in the Badlands, makes for some wonderful pictures. The breakfasts are fantastic and the owners can share information with you about the Badlands and surrounding areas so you know which hikes to take and other things to do that would be of interest to you. Yes, if you stay at Wall you will be back tracking. Highway 240 is the Badlands loop that you take to see the beautiful Badlands, off of I-90. No, you don't take highway 44. Enyoy your trip.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,418 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kadoka or Wall for the night before Badlands drive

We second the suggestion to stay at the Circle View Ranch B&B, Interior.

But we'd also suggest staying at least two nights.

Level Contributor
284 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kadoka or Wall for the night before Badlands drive

I would suggest staying right in the national park near Interior . You could either stay at the cabins near the visitor centre or camp in the campground. You can so on the Badlands loop which starts right near there. Highway 44 more or less is just outside some of the Badlands. If you are heading to the Black Hills after the Badlands, I am sure it is more scenic than the Interstate 90.

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kadoka or Wall for the night before Badlands drive

I'm not sure if you stay IN the park, how late you can check in???? If you're going that route, you will probably have to arrange to pick up the key at the office. We stayed there at the Badlands Inn and it seems to me that the "office lady" left around 9 p.m. (???) and it was unmanned after that????

Remember that you go across a time zone line between Minnesota and the Badlands, so you "gain" an hour.

You might want to get an earlier start......once the sun goes down it gets DARK and once you're off I-90 the road is twisty-turny.

Level Contributor
1,414 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kadoka or Wall for the night before Badlands drive

Wall isn't that far that backtracking is much of an issue. It's right at the exit to the loop. If you stayed in Wall you could shoot back down 90, pick up the beginning of the loop and end up back on 90 at Wall again, the thought here being that you will cover the distance on 90 much faster than you will taking the loop.

I have stayed twice in the Badlands at the Cedar Pass Lodge. Basic accomodations but fine and inexpensive. Not sure about arrival times as we have always come from Sioux Falls and gotten there in the afternoon. Our last trip we stayed at the Econo Lodge in Wall because we wanted a pool for the kids. Surprised at how much I liked the EconoLodge.

If there is anyway you can leave earlier and get to the Badlands before dusk I would recommend it unless, as an earlier poster suggested, you are staying there 2 nights. The Badlands are a totally different experience at dusk, dawn and during the day. You'll see most of your animals at dusk or dawn. During the day is usually quite warm but fine for hiking and climbing. Last time we were there at dusk we saw about 30 mountain goats/sheep (?) and had a herd of about 60 pronghorn cross in front of us just as we were leaving the park to head back to the hotel. Very cool!

If your next stop is Rapid City you could stay in the Badlands until dusk/dark and make it there in an hour or so.

One word of advice about the Wall/Badlands area-there are very few places to eat and none of them very good. Not even much fast food, I think a Subway and a DQ. Eat a big lunch, late, and grab something minimal for dinner.

6. Re: Kadoka or Wall for the night before Badlands drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 07:19
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now