We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proposed route for September trip to Tennessee

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
852 posts
485 reviews
Save Topic
Proposed route for September trip to Tennessee

Hi

My other half and I are coming to Tennessee in September- which is fast approaching - and having booked only car rental and flights I'm getting round to looking at some hotel reservations. I've put together a proposed route/itinerary and would be delighted to have some feedback from fellow TA users. I'm keen to see what anyone thinks before I go ahead and book the hotels along the route.

Flying into Memphis late 15th Sept- have booked Embassy Suites, Shady Grove Road for 15/16 - thought that would allow us to go to Graceland and Beale Street on the 16th and maybe drop in at Mud Island on the morning of the 17th before departing.

17th Sept- head to Murfreesboro- spend 3 nights here- visits to Franklin, Mursfreesboro and Jack Daniels distillery.

20th Sept - big drive today! - off to Asheville, NC for 4 nights- planning to see Biltmore Estate and as much of the Great Smoky Mountains as possible.

24th Sept - drvive to Sevierville - really want to spend 3 nights at Berry Springs just chilling out and seeing what's around. Think the bluegrass festival is on at Dollywood so will probably go there too

27th Sept - arrive in Hendersonville for last 4 nights which will allow us to visit downtown Nashville- grand ole opry and take in a slight deviation to Bowling Green Kentucky to visit the Corvette factory and museum. Of course I might want to do some shopping before I head home too! (although I did hear that there are some really good arts and craft communities in the mountains!)

Fly home to Scotland on 1st October.

As I said I'd much appreciate your thoughts- we're happier in more rural areas so we thought staying outside of Nashville and travelling in would suit us best.. We've learnt from previous trips that we can't possibly hope to see everything there is but we felt this may give us a good few options. I'd love to know if I've missed anything though or if you guys think we're spending far too long in certain places. In the past some of the most memorable places on our trips have been little known places/sights kindly supplied on these forums!

Thanks

Gill

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
429 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proposed route for September trip to Tennessee

Gill,

Sounds like you've really done your homework as far as planning things out.

Just a suggestion, if you like rural areas and want to see some truly spectacular scenery, when you are in the Asheville/Smoky Mountain area, get on the Blue Ridge Parkway near Asheville, and drive down toward Maggie Valley, stop and explore that interesting mountain town,then exit the BRP near Cherokee, and head on over the mountain to Gatlinburg and Cades Cove and the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail, and Sugarlands Visitors Center. That area is perfect for a hike, a picnic, or just driving and exploring.

Have fun!

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
688 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proposed route for September trip to Tennessee

Going to be a busy trip, that's for sure. One thing you may want to consider in Memphis, if you goal is Graceland, Beale St. and Mud Island, the ES on Shady Grove is not that concvenient. You may want to consider a downtown hotel, Residence Inn, Peabody, Marriott downtown, Doubletree downtown. There is also an Embassy Suites planned for downtown, but I don't think it is open yet. There is a trolley to get you to Beale St and Mud Island, and Graceland would be a relatively short taxi ride away.

Good luck and welcome to Tennessee!!!! Have fun.

3. Re: Proposed route for September trip to Tennessee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 14:22