We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rafting and Tubing

Louisiana
Level Contributor
1 post
63 reviews
Save Topic
Rafting and Tubing

Myself wife and 2 daughters (4 & 14) want to go rafting and tubing any suggestions for places that a 4 y/o can go and play as well? Thanks in advance.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rafting and Tubing

Hi sskessler401 - Welcome to TA!

Tubing is something that we love to do in the summertime, but I would not recommend it with your 4 year old daughter. As much as she might love the excitement, the mountain rivers can be rough and deep in spots and even having her on your lap would be to dangerous. You really should be a good swimmer too.

There are places in the water where she could play while the rest of you take turns tubing. When we go on our own, we tube either at Greenbrier or the Metcalf Bottoms Picnic Area. Make sure you know what lies ahead in the river before you set out. You wouldn't want a tough rapid or waterfall to surprise you. :0

Most of the white water rafing places have an age limit, but several also offer float trips for families with small children. Try Appalachian Outdoors or Rapid Decent on this website:

accommodationsinthesmokeys.com/whitwate.htm

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rafting and Tubing

Deep Creek is also a great place to take small kids. My kids love the place. The river is a little smaller than the Little River.

The Tuckaseegee River from Dillsboro to Barkers Creek is a very family oriented rafting trip. The Nantahala has a weight limit of 60 pounds set by the US Forest Service due to hypothermia concerns for small people. Deep Creek and the Tuck are both on the NC side of the park. Deep Creek is in Bryson City.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rafting and Tubing

I went to Deep Creek in the fall and so of course wasn't able to tube, but the area is very nice and I'd imagine the experience would be great. There's been a thread recently on this subject that is worth checking out: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60842-i150-k19791…

Kristian

tennessee
Level Contributor
140 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rafting and Tubing

We rafted on the Hiwassee River once and had a great time. It is not to difficult so you can raft it yourself. Also in Townsend Tennessee there is the Pigeon River, which is great place to tube and somewhere your kids might enjoy also. Hope this helps.

Tennessee

Heart of it all
Level Contributor
577 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rafting and Tubing

My four year old (actually 4 yrs 3 mos) granddaughter went tubing with her parents last year. They tethered her raft to her mom's and they all had a great time. The were VERY careful, of course! They got in at Townsend. (River Rats)

6. Re: Rafting and Tubing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 15:20