We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moving to tennessee

connecticut
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Topic
moving to tennessee

hi! my family and i are looking into moving south (preferably tennessee) and need some help deciding where. i have looked into several areas, including knoxville, clarksville, greenville (i guess i like the villes :)). we are a young couple moving from connecticut and have three boys ranging in age from 9 months to 8. the town that we currently live in consists of about 20k people and we love it, but it is building up rapidly and is getting too expensive. basically we are looking for a town very similar. there is no major shopping mall here, but we have easy access to several (w/in 20 minutes). our town does have quite a few strip malls, and lots of places to eat. the school systems here are great, and that is definitely high on our list of prorities as we have three young ones. we are also looking for a safe town (obviously)!! the town that we currently live in is very quiet in the asepect of crime. basically, we want a country atmoshpere, but don't want to overdo it, make sense?? i would like to find a town that is semi-quiet, but has other towns nearby with fun activities. any information at all would be greatly appreciated. we are planning on visiting different areas w/in the month, so if you have any towns/cities to recommend, that would be great!!!

germantown
Level Contributor
147 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: moving to tennessee

hmmmm...ya know Westport is not New Haven, right?? TN is quite diverse...but if crime is a real concern, then stay the heck away from the Memphis MSA, and several parts of Nashville....from what you describe, I would "discover" the Huntsville, Alabama area...(really)...decent area...still has rural aspects, but with a surprising amount of sophistication....great lake near by...mountains...and close to larger cities as well.....

Knoxville area is also a decent area...but between the tow , I'd choose the north Alabama, i.e. Huntsville/Decatur area....

connecticut
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: moving to tennessee

thank you for your response. not quite sure what you meant about wesport not being new haven, but that's ok. anyway, i have heard about memphis and have decided to stay far away from there. knoxville is a possibility with me, but i'm not sure if my husband is game! again, thanks for your response, i was begining to think no one would reply!!!

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
397 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: moving to tennessee

Mommy,

Here's copy of a recent post I responded to.

Posted on: 9:58 am, Sep 01, 2005

Having spent 24 years in Knoxville I'll agree it's a wonderful area. If I could move back I would in a minute but I would live somewhere outside of Knoxville and Knox county. Since you don't want to be real rural but want the smaller town atmosphere you might consider some of the towns just outside of Knoxville. Some of the larger towns would include Maryville and Oak Ridge. Then there are smaller towns like Lenoir City, Loudon, Sevierville, Powell, Farragut, Clinton and Jefferson City.

I currently live in the Huntsville, AL area and work in Huntsville. In general I agree with Shekelmeister about the North AL area. Low cost of living, low crime, high standard of living, high percentage of college graduates and very family oriented. With the exception of some of the Huntsville City schools most of the schools are very good and lots of choices for private schools if you choose that direction. Live outside Madison County and the costs of living are even lower.

connecticut
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: moving to tennessee

thank you for your insight. i will look into the towns you mentioned. what is knoxville like? are there many things to do? i have so many questions!!! any further info that you may have, please pass on. or if anyone knows of a helpful website, that would be great too!!!

Oneonta, Alabama
Level Contributor
942 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: moving to tennessee

You may want to consider Blount County Alabama. It's south of Huntsville and north of Birmingham. We have a 30-45 minute drive to 4 or 5 larger towns to shop, watch a movie, etc. Oneonta is a small town with a great city school system. The school is K-12 with about 1300 students. It is a safe, small town atmosphere with very little crime. Many folks commute to Huntsville or Birmingham for work. Try a search for "Oneonta Alabama"- we're the covered bridge capital of the south and it's a wonderful place to raise children. We live just outside of town in a small community. I have 2 sons who love living out where they can ride their bikes safely and fish, etc. Blount County is one of the fastest growing counties in the state, but we are still a small home town where people watch out for each other and wave when they meet.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
397 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: moving to tennessee

Mommy,

When I lived in Knoxville it wasn't so much the things Knoxville had to offer as what the area has to offer. What I really miss is the close proximity to the Smokies and all the wonderful lakes within a short drive. Convenient access to I-75, I-40 and I-81 makes travel to and from the area very easy. Personally Knoxville has just gotten to be too much of a big city for me so if I ever get the chance to move "back home" I would pick something in one of the outlying counties like Blount, Sevier, Anderson, Grainger, Loudon, Cocke or Jefferson.

connecticut
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: moving to tennessee

Coastermeister,

I started looking into Maryville and Oak Ridge last night, but didn't find out too much b/c it was so late and I was exhausted! So far, Maryville seems really nice. Like I mentioned, I do not know very much about Tennessee at all, but I do know that I want to live in a town that mixes a little bit of everything! Maybe that's asking too much, but it's worth a shot!! Right now I am trying to narrow towns down and have a "plan of attack" for when I visit. My husband is totally in love with the idea of being near mountains and living in the country. And that's fine with me, as long as I know that there is civilization nearby! LOL. Anyway, your help is TRULY appreciated! I will continue researching the towns that you mentioned, and if you think of anymore, or anything else you feel I should know, please pass it along! Thanks again.

Oh, and to those of you who mentioned Alabama, I will check it out purely b/c it seems all of you love it there! Thanks!!!! :)

Lenoir City, TN
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: moving to tennessee

Good morning,

In June, moved to TN from Bolingbrook, IL, a suburb of Chicago. Like you, we were looking for a small town atmosphere, good schools and easy access to activities. I did a GREAT amount of research on school systems, housing, etc. before choosing Lenoir City. It is a town of about 6500 people just west of Knoxville. We LOVE it. We found a house in the Loudon County School system, not Lenoir City. My son is 12, in a gifted/talented program. The school is great so far.

Activities are available, as Lenoir City is on Fort Loudon Lake. We have been boating a couple times and the lakes and river are definately great fun for the kids. If you want to visit Downtown Knoxville or the Smoky Mountains, they are about 45 min to an hour, tops. Chattanooga is only about an hour and a half. There are malls about 15 miles from here, just a quick ride though. Plenty of stores here to get by. Super Wal-mart is the big store here. There is not alot of traffic here, compared to Chicago area.

If you want a little more upscale, Farragut, the next town over is a nice place. Good schools but the homes are a little more. Have friends that live there and they love it.

If you do choose Knoxville, go west of the city. I do not recommend the east side.

Hope this info is helpful.

connecticut
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: moving to tennessee

hi borgz4,

very helpful! i actually just got done looking at farragut. very nice there! but i am not sure if i want to spend that much on a home. i know it is not a lot. heck, compared to where i live it's peanuts! but the purpose of us moving south is to be more comfortable, and i'm not sure if we would be there. maybe someday!!! :) i briefly looked at lenoir city. the town that i live in now has about 20k people in it, and i was trying to stay in that area. you mentioned living in illinois, was your town large? if so, was it a big change to move to a small town? there are so many towns to look at i am getting overwhelmed! but everyone who has offered advice has truly helped me. as you can imagine, schools are definitely a concern for me. my oldest just started second grade, and with two others who will be enrolling w/in the next few years, i want to make sure i am happy with the system. can you tell me a little more about lenoir city?? is it very country? does it have a "main strip" with stores? sorry for the questions, but you are living in the area that i am interested in, so i'm taking advantage!! LOL. how about the surrounding towns? bigger? safe? (major concern). ok, i'll stop now! thanks for your help!!!!!! :)

Lenoir City, TN
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: moving to tennessee

Hi mom,

We do have a main strip here. Hwy 321 goes right thru. We are basically between I-40 and I-75 on Hwy 321. There are alot of restaurants here, about 8 or 9 nicer ones, most of them on 321. More fast-food though. Hwy 321 goes to the Smokys, so some tourists stop at the Lake. Most on their way to Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Sevierville.

I came from a town of about 120,000 so this is a big change for us. We like it. You don't have the luxury of going down the street to the grocery store, but there are 3 big ones and a couple smaller ones. In town(I live outside the city limit a mile or so) there is a main street, Broadway with little shops, library, p.o., Roane State, other businessess too.

The folks here are friendly and always willing to help.

We have park district programs here for the kids. Football seems to be huge here, at all levels. UT is in Knoxville.

Crime rates here are very low. There has been alot of growth here. A new hospital, new businessess, and ongoing progress. Loudon County is growing.

Knox County is growing fast also. About 175,000. West Knox County is where you would want to focus on. The schools in Farragut, Concord, West Hills, Bearden are ok. I would steer clear of the East of Knoxville. There are low income housing and they do have some problems there.

We looked in Maryville, Powell, Philadelphia, Lenoir City, Friendsville and Oak Ridge. We liked what we found in this area b/c it is growing. We just got a new, younger mayor who seems to be trying to make this a place where people call home. Maryville is nice too, more the size you are looking for. There is Foothills Mall there. It is on 321 at the foot of the Smokys. It is beautiful there. Have gone down a couple times.

If you need any school info go to the TN home page and they link you with the Edu. Dept with all the test scores, student info, etc.

If you have any other questions, let me know.