We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family that never river rafted suggestions.

chicagoland
Level Contributor
400 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Family that never river rafted suggestions.

Our family of five has never river rafted. Our kids are small, all under 70 pounds ages 7 -10. They have graduated swim school, and swim all summer in the park pool,...but not in lakes or rivers. We will be and around the Greenville SC area mid-July

I have read there are rafting operations in NC, TN and SC...any suggestions on which company or tour for our level of experience?

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family that never river rafted suggestions.

I don't know about South Carolina rafting, but you should research the Ocoee River in East Tennessee, about an hour from N.C.

www.ocoeerafting.com/ocoee-river.aspx

Just north of the TN border, between Newport, TN and Ashville, N.C. is the town of Hot Springs on the French Broad River. It's small, quaint, historic, and the river seems to have enough action to enjoy, but maybe not the class of rapids to be threatening to the kids. There's a Huck Finn's Rafting outfit advertised there as well as others.

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family that never river rafted suggestions.

I would check with NOC or wildwater rafting. Do a search for NOC rafting. They will also have the weight and age requirements for each river. These requirements will be the same for each river. If they are to small for any of the rivers these company's run you could do a search for Rafting with Kids. They run the Tuck just outside of Cherokee. There is also rafting on the pigeon near Gatlinburg.

I have took my son when he was just old enough and big enough to go and he loved it. I way always used NOC when possible.

John

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family that never river rafted suggestions.

I'm a big fan of the NOC, and the children may weight enough for a trip with them down the Nantahala. The outfitter for the Tuckaseegee recommended by the NOC is Tuckaseegee Outfitters (it's a gentler river and self-guided--unless guided trips have been added since I was there); what's left of the train wreck from the film "The Fugitive" can be viewed with a short scramble up the bank on river right. An even gentler river in TN is the Hiwassee. The 2 main outfitters that rent rafts and duckies are Hiwassee Outfitters and Webb Brothers; both take you to the put-in and you raft down stream to their stores. Hiwassee Outfitters has a web site--it's the larger of the two. These two outfitters are located in Reliance, TN, near the towns of Benton and Etowah.

4. Re: Family that never river rafted suggestions.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2010, 06:19